El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
??? It's excellent, feels like they never stopped and like an extended epilogue episode of sorts. Just really, really well done, super pleased with the various characters that show up, it simply feels like Breaking Bad, not a cheap attempt to recapture the magic, it's there.

Paul terrific and seamlessly steps back into the role, there's a standout Western like moment and the ending is very satisfying imo. Very well shot too although the super sharpness and clean look of the Alexa 65 on the daylight stuff is jarring, it doesn't usually look like that but here I just wondered why they didn't add grain for the whole film.

Some shots have it, but it's not consistent, night time stuff has more of a texture, anyway, that's a geeky complaint.

For El Camino to justify its existence, it needed to equal, or surpass, the possibilities for Jesse you have imagined over the last 6 years. It doesn't. It restricts them to well executed thrills and fan service. Well paced, well shot, well acted, but "good" is not good enough.

-Vader

Wish Gilligan had brought Walley-Beckett to do work on the script as well. She was arguably the best writer he had on Breaking Bad.

turned it off after 20min

shit was booooring yo

Vader182 wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 5:35 pm
For El Camino to justify its existence, it needed to equal, or surpass, the possibilities for Jesse you have imagined over the last 6 years. It doesn't. It restricts them to well executed thrills and fan service. Well paced, well shot, well acted, but "good" is not good enough.

-Vader
"It doesn't for me", there, fixed it for ya.

It was ok and a bit unnecessary if I'm being honest. The flashbacks from Breaking Bad were distracting to me.

Jax_Teller wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 12:45 pm
??? It's excellent, feels like they never stopped and like an extended epilogue episode of sorts. Just really, really well done, super pleased with the various characters that show up, it simply feels like Breaking Bad, not a cheap attempt to recapture the magic, it's there.

Paul terrific and seamlessly steps back into the role, there's a standout Western like moment and the ending is very satisfying imo. Very well shot too although the super sharpness and clean look of the Alexa 65 on the daylight stuff is jarring, it doesn't usually look like that but here I just wondered why they didn't add grain for the whole film.

Some shots have it, but it's not consistent, night time stuff has more of a texture, anyway, that's a geeky complaint.
"It's excellent in my humble opinion", there fixed it for you.

Having 30% of the film being flashbacks didn’t help

Jax_Teller wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 7:19 am
Vader182 wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 5:35 pm

-Vader
"It doesn't for me", there, fixed it for ya.
I noticed you get super defensive over the movies you're staning (is that the phrase?) over. Like this or the CG in Irishman, you feel like you have to respond to any criticism :P

It was fine. It didn't harm the overall legacy of the show but it also added very little. When I think back on Breaking Bad, do I want Felina or El Camino to be the ending that I remember? I'll go with the former.

Also, a few things that really bothered me and I'm curious as to others' opinions:
If you're going to make a film about one of the most beloved shows ever, would you not insist that the actor who plays Todd lose weight before filming? It completely takes the viewer out of the film when Todd is 50lbs heavier than he is supposed to be.
And if you're going to have a Walter White cameo, could you not find some other way to showcase Cranston where he isn't wearing an obvious bald cap? Why not just put on a hat and sunglasses and explain it away as him being paranoid that someone might recognize him in the area/diner, so that's why he's wearing it. Don't bring back Walter with a damn bald cap.