Knives Out (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
U.S. and foreign distributors will be bidding for Knives Out, a contemporary murder mystery that will star Daniel Craig as a detective assigned to solve the crime, with Rian Johnson directing.

The film is best described as a modern day murder mystery in the classic whodunit style, infused with Johnson’s original voice that informed films from Brick to Looper.

The film came out of nowhere before major buyers received the script last night and gave every indication this will be a fevered auction. Longtime collaborators Johnson and Bergman confirmed for Deadline the details and sales plans for Knives Out, which they’ll finance through a new company they’ve hatched but haven’t yet named.

Johnson told Deadline he has been an Agatha Christie nut since his teens, sparking to her richly drawn characters and the twists and turns that drove her whodunits. For a decade, he has been framing in his mind how he would make his own murder mystery, and over the summer he scripted his contemporary version of the locked door mansion murder mystery.

Boyle’s abrupt exit from Bond 25 gave Johnson and Bergman an opening to pursue Craig, if he was up for squeezing in a movie before returning to his 007 franchise. When Craig sparked to the script and signed on, a hot package came together, just in time for the Toronto market. Besides the Bond films, both Johnson and Bergman followed Craig’s career closely since his strong turns that included Road to Perdition, Munich, Layer Cake, Defiance and Logan Lucky. They’ve seen his stage turns, and Johnson has met Craig socially several times. It made for a quick and easy alliance on Knives Out.

“I have been a huge fan and always wanted to work with him and as I worked on the script, trying to get it right, Ram and I were wringing our hands over who could be the detective,” Johnson said. “Then, serendipitously, we heard Daniel might have a small window, and it worked out. He’s an actor of extraordinary range, and we are looking forward to the fun of finding that modern detective, and collaborating with Daniel on creating a new Poirot.”

Johnson said that while he enjoys playing in the studio sandbox with Star Wars, he and Bergman liked the prospect of being part of this entrepreneurial independent process where they launch a new company with a film they own, with the help of CAA Media Finance and FilmNation, whose principal Glen Basner worked with them on the films Brick, The Brothers Bloom, and Johnson’s breakout, Looper.

“Glen sold all of Rian’s movies with the exception of Star Wars,” Bergman said. “We went to Cannes with Looper and watched it sell very well. This is a different time in the business, but we are excited to come in as the financiers and producers. Our priority is to find the best distributor in each territory, and to spend time with the buyers figuring out what’s best for the film.”
https://deadline.com/2018/09/daniel-cra ... 202456539/

Niiiiice I was worried Johnson would get stuck in Lucasfilm for a decade with his new trilogy.

Definitely want more original stuff from this guy, he's too smart for the Star Wars fanbase. I'm worried he won't have that much freedom on these new movies considering the backlash. I know he's starting from scratch, but I'm expecting more interference.

And damn, Agatha Christie like-whodunit, he's tailored made to deliver something great

this sounds great

seems like something particularly suited to Johnson's talents and Craig needs dynamic jobs.

-Vader

Apt title.

If you check out the Bond fan community the knives are definitely out for Daniel, if all the press BS wasn't enough stir them up, hearing their current Bond is signing on for another film is postively causing hysteria

I think Bond 25 will still meet the schedule so I don't think this will effect things, it looks like B25 will having a slightly later start date but I have faith it will be delivered on the original date planned.

hmmmm

JGL desperately needs a comeback

Rian Johnson desperately needs a comeback.

I'm fairly certain SW fans will try to sabotage this.

anikom15 wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 1:53 am
Rian Johnson desperately needs a comeback.
his last movie made 1.3 billion dollars