Knives Out (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 11:46 pm
This is playing CIFF, so i'll do my best to get tickets. Showtime will be sometime in the last half of October.
At the Copenhagen International Fashion Fair? :P

just to throw some polite shade at allstar,

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff- ... 02174083/
Knives Out is the 4th most acclaimed movie out of TIFF in 2019 and yet Rian didn't get a single spot on the list of "best directed" while nabbing the second "top screenplay" spot.

There's plenty of reviews that talk about the movie's style and direction, Rian's a very competent and efficient filmmaker and some love his dry look, but don't pretend like this is a consistent point of acclaim for him. TLJ is the close as he's ever come for being recognized for his actual filmmaking.

-Vader

Ace

"I read a tweet about a new yorker article about you" :lol:

Rian Johnson @rianjohnson
New #knivesout trailer ahoy! As always... it doesn’t spoil anything BUT it shows plenty of new moments that are best experienced for the first time in the movie. If you’re already in for opening night, I recommend coming in clean! With that having been said...

Tickets bought for October 23rd. Rian Johnson will be in attendance.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 5:24 pm
Tickets bought for October 23rd. Rian Johnson will be in attendance.

-Vader
Try to ask him why he doesn’t make his movies more cinematic. ;)

So Knives Out is terrific. Rian effortlessly balances genre revisionism with genre reverence, knowing *precisely* when to uphold a classic whodunit turn or trope and when not to, making half the thrill of watching the discovery this isn't quite the movie you thought it was. It's also cunning, often clever and front to back hilarious, although it's ultimately not quite as clever as it thinks it is and that is the film's greatest failing. Craig is brilliant, if Soderbergh let him off the leash Johnson gives him permission to run. He goes BIG and it's GREAT. De Armas owns this movie, though. She's a movie star.

Surprisingly moody and directorially specific in a way Looper and Brothers Bloom are not. The trailers all suck. Likely my second favorite movie by Johnson after TLJ.

It is ridiculous this cost 40 million.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 6:09 pm
So Knives Out is terrific. Rian effortlessly balances genre revisionism with genre reverence, knowing *precisely* when to uphold a classic whodunit turn or trope and when not to, making half the thrill of watching the discovery this isn't quite the movie you thought it was. It's also cunning, often clever and front to back hilarious, although it's ultimately not quite as clever as it thinks it is and that is the film's greatest failing. Craig is brilliant, if Soderbergh let him off the leash Johnson gives him permission to run. He goes BIG and it's GREAT. De Armas owns this movie, though. She's a movie star.

Surprisingly moody and directorially specific in a way Looper and Brothers Bloom are not. The trailers all suck. Likely my second favorite movie by Johnson after TLJ.

It is ridiculous this cost 40 million.

-Vader
How so?

It takes place almost entirely inside a single location. No doubt, a huge chunk of it went to the cast, namely Craig and Evans.

It's the Fincher thing where a director is using the budget mainly for "style" than "production value" like action, CGI, or anything superficially "big." IE, Dragon Tattoo should cost half what it does.

-Vader