Knives Out (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Okay so I genuinely loved this a ton and it’s so much fun and you should absolutely see this opening day

I actually stopped watching any promo material for this after the first trailer so I have no clue how reflective of the film the promo material was, but I (well idk kind of spoiler but not really)
expected a much more straight forward and classic who dunnit as in: murder happens, detectives appear, family gets locked inside the house until the crime is solved, fin. But this goes all kinds of random and seeing my expections not be delivered to the screen was part of the fun.
Like okay, I get it, Ruin’s movies are not le cinematic looking, and I agree, because to me, this is one of those genres where strong artistic vision tied into location and atmosphere building is a major major plus and can massively benefit the film, but that’s just Johnson’s movies for you. I think it does visually look a lot better than any other Johnson film I’ve seen, other than The Last Jedi. You don’t end up looking at Knives Out and thinking that film lost something by not being as visually striking as any other director would have probably attempted to flex.

Also the cast is *chef’s kiss*. And Ana de Armas is also chef’s kiss, but she also has that sweet aura around herself that makes you feel like you’re not really watching a character, but her being herself. Also Craig is ridiculous and I wish he did more of these types of roles, because he kills them. (not really spoilers at all)
for some fucking reason the scene where craig’s character just casually rolls by martha’s car and is signalling her to pick up her phone sent me into hysterics and that scene is now permanently ingrained into my brain
All in all this is great pls watch it
also I FUCKING KNEW IT i know the plot is more complicated but like i fucking knew it lmao
vibing with this review. its one of the best movies this year and RJ's best after TLJ.

everyone be careful, anti-TLJ idiots are running around online trying to spoil the movie for people.

-Vader

Ruth wrote:
Okay so I genuinely loved this a ton and it’s so much fun and you should absolutely see this opening day

I actually stopped watching any promo material for this after the first trailer so I have no clue how reflective of the film the promo material was, but I (well idk kind of spoiler but not really)
expected a much more straight forward and classic who dunnit as in: murder happens, detectives appear, family gets locked inside the house until the crime is solved, fin. But this goes all kinds of random and seeing my expections not be delivered to the screen was part of the fun.
Like okay, I get it, Ruin’s movies are not le cinematic looking, and I agree, because to me, this is one of those genres where strong artistic vision tied into location and atmosphere building is a major major plus and can massively benefit the film, but that’s just Johnson’s movies for you. I think it does visually look a lot better than any other Johnson film I’ve seen, other than The Last Jedi. You don’t end up looking at Knives Out and thinking that film lost something by not being as visually striking as any other director would have probably attempted to flex.

Also the cast is *chef’s kiss*. And Ana de Armas is also chef’s kiss, but she also has that sweet aura around herself that makes you feel like you’re not really watching a character, but her being herself. Also Craig is ridiculous and I wish he did more of these types of roles, because he kills them. (not really spoilers at all)
for some fucking reason the scene where craig’s character just casually rolls by martha’s car and is signalling her to pick up her phone sent me into hysterics and that scene is now permanently ingrained into my brain
also I FUCKING KNEW IT i know the plot is more complicated but like i fucking knew it lmao
*chef’s kiss*

Just watched this earlier this evening. It was lots of fun, first time I ever really cared about one of Daniel Craig's performances but it's really the entire cast that sells this film. There is no doubt from the beginning that every single family member
is only looking out for themselves.
Ana de Armas has the main (and best) role of the entire film. The mansion itself gives the film lots of mystery and atmosphere. It's a good film, watch it.

8.5/10
Last edited by Batfan175 on November 27th, 2019, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Douchebag Chris Evans could plot my murder any day, and I’d personally thank him for it

Ruth wrote:

I'll prob see this Tuesday. TBH, I've always disagreed Rian Johnson's films are not cinematic. Even going back to his first film Brick, what he accomplished on a shoestring budget is remarkable. But I've been a massive RJ supporter long before Star Wars so it makes sense I have that opinion.

Going on Tuesday, double feature with Parasite 8-)

Really enjoyed this. It was engaging, intriguing, and charming. We laughed a lot, and I honestly did not see the twist coming. Very clever the way they played it by
showing how the victim died early on. I thought that might ruin the suspense, but it only made the twist that much more surprising and fun. I do agree with the critique that making the asshole the killer was a bit too on the nose. Also there were a lot of convenient things that fell into place to make the plan work, but it also made for a fun murder mystery too, so I'm not gonna nitpick it.
I saw Chris Evans on Broadways playing an a$$hole, and he plays the same kind of a$$hole here. I like that he can play both a hero and an a$$hole. I really enjoyed Daniel Craig's character the most.

All in all this was a great time and I'd highly recommend.

8.5 out of 10.

Nomis wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 6:35 am
Going on Tuesday, double feature with Parasite 8-)
Whoa! Parasite being one of 2019's best together with really well received Knives Out? That will be one hella theater experience for you. Enjoy!

So I ended up missing my screening because of a flat tire fml!

What a film :clap:

An incredibly clever, funny and thematically rich script. I think this may be Rian's best one and am so absolutely delighted that this almost-impossible-to-hate film comes to the TLJ haters out there.

Ana Armas just stole the film. This is completely her film. Craig was great, but almost felt like a supporting character to her story. Toni Collette was my favorite of the supporting cast, she had by far the funniest lines :lol:

One minor disappointment is that
I saw the Chris Evans being the mastermind behind it all the minute he came on screen. Just felt obvious and was confirmed when he was puppeting Martha's actions. But the reveal still just came 20 minutes after. The good thing is that there was still three more twists after it, so in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't that important