The French Dispatch (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Film Stage 📽@TheFilmStage
Wes Anderson's #TheFrenchDispatch has been delayed from July to Oct. 16, 2020.

2021 Cannes Film Festival announces The French Dispatch to it's line-up, marking the premiere of Wes Anderson's first film since Isle of Dogs. The film is now scheduled to premiere at this year's Festival de Cannes, which will take place July 6 to 17.
https://movieweb.com/the-french-dispatc ... -preimere/

My most anticipated movie of the year. I need more than ever the slightly tragic, melancholic and weirdly funny plots & protagonists of Wes Anderson.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 1:42 pm
2021 Cannes Film Festival announces The French Dispatch to it's line-up, marking the premiere of Wes Anderson's first film since Isle of Dogs. The film is now scheduled to premiere at this year's Festival de Cannes, which will take place July 6 to 17.
https://movieweb.com/the-french-dispatc ... -preimere/

My most anticipated movie of the year. I need more than ever the slightly tragic, melancholic and weirdly funny plots & protagonists of Wes Anderson.
Mine as well. The trailer is amazing. The colors, can we talk about the COLORS! They are so varied and well-composed/utilized. The shot of Benicio Del Toro tossing the color dust is sublime. Can't wait!

We just need a date for when this hits the world outside of Cannes....

Cannes won't be online this year, right?

Bacon wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 11:38 pm
We just need a date for when this hits the world outside of Cannes....

Cannes won't be online this year, right?
No. If it's online then it won't happen.

Really great.
A great improvement after Isle of dogs which felt a little disappointing to me, after GBH.

Is it better than GBH? Hard to say, I need to rewatch it, but I can very much see it becoming my favourite Wes'. It doesn't have a great plot like GBH, but instead has many plots, and overall the plots are not as interesting as the way they are told. The film expresses its theme more through its form than its plot, which doesn't mean that it is emotionless. On the contrary, many shots are filled with emotions, escpecially when the color suddenly appears to make a shot more moving :very mild spoilers:
Seydoux dancing in front of a painting, Khoudry and Chalamet like a comet in the sky, Saoirse Ronan's eyes
And there are some beautiful conversations that are deeply moving between
Brody and Del Toro, and between Wright and Park.
Honestly you can click on "spoiler", you won't watch it for the plot ;) .

In terms of cast, obviously they're all good (duh). It's really nice to see Del Toro and Chalamet directed that way. In one scene Ronan shows why she's one of the best.
Also would like to highlight Wright and Seydoux.
This is Seydoux's month for me.

Really loved this, definitely a huge step back from Isle of Dogs. Personal preference, I really wish he kept color the entire film, as I always loved Wes' colors

Very very good. Wish it had more of an emotional punch though.