Midsommar (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 2:52 pm
yeah

it's time we make artemis the purple member

sorry not sorry ruth you're just as green as the rest of us mods ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'd like to thank my biggest supporter Nistopher Colon for helping me achieve this momentous honor.

We're all thankful for Colon

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 12:16 pm
well, you can often guage a film's quality by how few pages it has
Heh.

Artemis wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 2:07 pm
i'm not hating just delivering statistics
lol i did shit like this in high school ngl

i mean, i saw it opening day in chicago. it's great, it's just not nearly as high as hereditary for me.

-vader

Seeing it tonight with a packed audience. Wonder how we're all gonna handle it.

I much preferred this over Hereditary.

From the moment Toni Collette...
...died
...the movie lost the grip on what its trying to be. That ending left me scratching my head and saying whatever after a strong directorial showcase that came before it. A lot of the movie is waiting for something to happen with no real payoff.

Mark Kermode mentioned it in his review.

I remember liking the movie still.

Midsommar is a fully realized vision, start to finish. Not a single shot wasted. It does weird a la Luca's Suspiria, but perhaps even better. And Florence Pugh is all sorts of amazing.

I'm just pissed off at myself for seeing Spider-Man first in fear of spoilers (granted, it was the more talked about movie online) and postponing seeing this a week because they stopped playing Midsommar after just one week in my hometown. Even in the arthouse theatre. Now I have to wait for digital.

I found this to be rather thematically muddled in places. It never felt like Aster was spear-heading his themes of grief in the same way he did with Hereditary. Maybe he didn't want it feel like he's retreading those same waters, but it resulted in a lot of hollow points that I felt didn't add up to anything resonant. Those problems lie manly within the first half. The second half is where it hits its stride, where I started to feel exactly what Aster was wanting to say, with a final shot that is so cathartic and beautiful. I wish the rest of the movie was on the same level as the final 30 minutes.