Midsommar (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
NOT THE TRIANGLES

NOT THE TRIANGLES

:wtf: :wtf:

Well...that's certainly a description

Ari Aster’s follow-up movie to Hereditary, Midsommar from A24, is moving up from its Aug. 9 release date to the Independence Day frame of July 3, which has been a prime counter-programming launch pad for horror pics, i.e. last year’s The First Purge ($69.4M) and 2016’s The Purge: Election Year ($79.2M).
https://deadline.com/2019/04/midsommar- ... 202587868/

From what I've heard of this,
I doubt people are going to connect with this the way they do with Hereditary. Some of the screenplay stuff sounds almost hilarious instead of scary.

I actually really wanted for this to be released on the weekend of the actual midsommar. But a month earlier is still super cool. July will be so cool.

I can't get excited for this and it's kind of my own fault.

Big spoilers for this movie. Not necessarily saying specifics about plot, but if you don't know what the film is really about, don't read:
I was really pumped for this until people I knew who LOVED Hereditary were talking to me about how the ending is hilarious to them. I read the end of the script and I agree. This goes for shock and weirdness in a way that Hereditary does not, but it feels cheap and pretentious to me in a way that film doesn't. It's essentially The Wicker Man with weird sexual scenes. It focuses on old people and collective moaning and sighing to make it uncomfortable. There's literally a scene where a woman rocks back and forth and says she can feel a man's seed inside her. I'm seeing people online say the script is "more disturbing" than Hereditary, but weird does not necessarily make it disturbing to me, and it just feels forced to me. And I'm not sure Aster is strong enough to make this the disturbing event he wants it to be with a script like that.

Hereditary is something wholly original and refreshing, but this feels like a mix of a bunch of things I've seen so many people try to do before. The script read like someone being like "Yeah! We're going THERE!" without realizing that what it's doing has the potential to make large groups of audience members burst out laughing.

And are they actually making the final shot of the movie the poster? Jeez guys.

^I’m really curious and excited for this mainly because I think Aster’s talent as director can’t have been a one hit wonder. The script’s another thing though. I’ve been hearing a lot of polarizing reactions on this, people either think it’s sooooooo much crazier and twisted than hereditary, or they think it’s... bad. So here’s that.

Ruth wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 6:15 pm
^I’m really curious and excited for this mainly because I think Aster’s talent as director can’t have been a one hit wonder. The script’s another thing though. I’ve been hearing a lot of polarizing reactions on this, people either think it’s sooooooo much crazier and twisted than hereditary, or they think it’s... bad. So here’s that.
Without spoiling anything, I align with the latter. I'm not sure if he wrote it before Hereditary or if he rushed through it, but I was not impressed. People keep saying it's crazier and twisted, and I know exactly why they're saying it, but I don't foresee it happening unless your specific tastes are affected by certain things in horror more. I think there's a possibility for him to turn out a compelling project out of this for sure [a weak script does not make or break a film] but the line he's riding here is way harder for someone to pull off imo, especially for a new filmmaker.

Regardless, I'm very interested in what the response will be because I can see theatrical experiences (and the audiences in each theater) being instrumental in the film's reception. Can't really say more than that.

Ace