Little Women (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Going to see this in a couple of hours.

Nice, I still have to wait a month lol

But it's nice seeing it's making some money, the budget was reportedly $40 million.

Saw this today. I loved it so much! The character felt so rich and colorful. The acting was superb and I really liked the editing.

Just got out of the theatre---I loved it. Amazing ensemble, maybe the best of the year. If Ronan and Pugh (and possibly Chalamet) don't get Oscar noms, there is no justice! This movie also better be nominated for Best Picture. It most certainly is one of the top 8 or 9 of the year, without hesitation.

so this is pretty amazing. felt like wrapping yourself in a blanket next to a great hearth. the same endless empathy, kindness and generosity in Lady Bird is doubly so here.

little women has half a dozen scenes (at least) that get at that same "they didn't understand it" feeling of the crying priest after his play.

the formal experiments, the time-jumping structure, doesn't feel at all distancing or showy, unlike, say, Nolan or Roeg or Vallée. instead it unifies multiple planes of action to amplify feeling by way of contrast, it's quite remarkable.

characters speak over one another with the lived-in vibes you'd find in Altman, and like Altman's McCabe and Mrs Miller or even Barry Lyndon, there is a dim beauty in natural lighting by way of candlelight.

one of the best this year, easily.

-Vader

Yup. The movie is so warm and gives you such a cozy feeling. I loved the scenes in the March home. It felt so warm and nice and so filled with love.
I love how the feeling returns at the end in the flash forward when everyone is together again after so long.
It was really clever how Gerwig differentiated the flash forwards and past scenes. The color palettes worked really well.

its funny how many tricks from inception are used, like very different palettes and so on. but whereas that felt like an intellectual juggling act, this just felt effortless and simple, closer to, say, the elegance of how RJ cut the "force-time" sequences in TLJ

anyway all bow down to greta.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:05 pm
its funny how many tricks from inception are used, like very different palettes and so on. but whereas that felt like an intellectual juggling act, this just felt effortless and simple, closer to, say, the elegance of how RJ cut the "force-time" sequences in TLJ

-Vader
Speaking of Inception--the ending of Little Women is kind of inception-esque--
I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to who thought Jo actually married--whereas it's been confirmed from Gerwig that she did not marry in her iteration of the film--the marriage scene is depicted as coming from the new ending to the book in order to appease the publisher. However, the way the film is edited, I can see why so many feel as though Jo got married.

Ozymandias wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm
Vader182 wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:05 pm

-Vader
Speaking of Inception--the ending of Little Women is kind of inception-esque--
I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to who thought Jo actually married--whereas it's been confirmed from Gerwig that she did not marry in her iteration of the film--the marriage scene is depicted as coming from the new ending to the book in order to appease the publisher. However, the way the film is edited, I can see why so many feel as though Jo got married.
Agreed. Touch of genius ending that’s perfectly ambiguous, a la Inception. You can interpret it either way and both ways satisfy the viewer immensely. Kind of wish Gerwig didn’t reveal her interpretation in public, though.