Disney owns 21st Century Fox Entertainment

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:00 am
Oh, poor independent theaters are going to go broke now because there is absolutely nothing else to show in this whole wide world other than a bunch of old Fox movies.

Disney the evil actually dares to decide when and how they want to release what they have acquired legally. Can you believe the nerves on these people?
You serious? Not having the access to Fox catalog definitely limits the options for Film Programmers big time. Of all the studios, Disney is one of the least friendly when it comes to archival screenings. And then there are people who would lose out on catching classics and then some on the big screen.

But having said that, Disney might relax it's policy in the future as demand for Fox films would be exponentially more than that of Disney's current catalog.

Batfan175 wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 9:46 am
Master Virgo wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:00 am
Oh, poor independent theaters are going to go broke now because there is absolutely nothing else to show in this whole wide world other than a bunch of old Fox movies.

Disney the evil actually dares to decide when and how they want to release what they have acquired legally. Can you believe the nerves on these people?
People actually care about the Fox catalogue and watching those classics on the big screen, as well as other non-Disney films. Can you believe the nerves on these people?
Good for them. There are a lot of things people want, I presume. But the majority determines the market.

When hand drawn animated film hit a break wall, when 3D suddenly spread everywhere like a disease, when superhero films dominated the film industry, it all was because audience decided to either reject or embrace those things. And I'm upset about some of those as well, but I don't feel entitled to demand for studios to lose money for what I want.

Right now Disney knows that they can make a lot more money from these old movies on their streaming service than by letting them be screened here and there in some small theaters. It's the very reason they bought Fox. Because they didn't have the massive content necessary for Disney+. And as the result a lot more people will be able to access these movies, than just a bunch of cinefiles in some theaters.

Is it evil of Sony or Microsoft to make exclusive games, because they want to sell consoles? Not at all. I don't like it, but I acknowledge that I'm in the minority and my preferred way of gaming is not supposed to be accepted by everyone else.

Dude, archival screenings are pretty popular in a lot of big cities in the US. Studios can make a good amount from them and it keeps the film in the public eye for a very long time. I've seen plenty of normies go to the screenings at my theater so it's not a Cinephile only thing.

There is a culture of midnight movies in the US and fox movies played a big role in shaping that.

My point wasn't that there is no money in it, rather that there is more money elsewhere.

disney crippling indie and commercial theatres isn't evil because they can?

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 2:56 pm
The notion that corporations should only pursue profits without sufficient, reasonable and fair consideration for what the impact is on their customers or their workers or their society or on countries or the environment, I think that idea exists for many and corporate greed and ruthlessness is normalized and accepted.
Last edited by cooldude on November 6th, 2019, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See that's the wrong mindset. They are not taking away anything that belongs to those theaters, they just don't want to share from what they themselves own. Because they see benefit in other places.

If I offer you one coin for some bread, but you decide to sell it to someone who offers you two coins, you are not a bad person. Lol. You are just looking after yourself. You don't owe me cheap bread.

in 10 years when movie theatres are extinct i better not hear a peep outta ya

cooldude wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 3:34 pm
The notion that corporations should only pursue profits without sufficient, reasonable and fair consideration for what the impact is on their customers or their workers or their society or on countries or the environment, I think that idea exists for many and corporate greed and ruthlessness is normalized and accepted.
i'm moving to cuba

November 6th, 2019, 3:57 pm
cooldude wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 3:34 pm
i'm moving to cuba
✊

Master Virgo wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 3:40 pm
See that's the wrong mindset. They are not taking away anything that belongs to those theaters, they just don't want to share from what they themselves own. Because they see benefit in other places.

If I offer you one coin for some bread, but you decide to sell it to someone who offers you two coins, you are not a bad person. Lol. You are just looking after yourself. You don't owe me cheap bread.
:blank: :blank: