Disney owns 21st Century Fox Entertainment

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Pratham wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 3:58 am
literally no one saw that coming
and it still sucks

Pratham wrote:
I honestly didn’t expect them to put a hold on genre specific movies like horror, one of my favorites. That’s just bullshit and I’m so naive sometimes it seems. 🕷️

If they actually shut down the brand altogether then that's fucked. Even MGM survives in a limited form. To think of 20th Century Fox going the way of RKO or United Artists is mighty sad.

and here i was wondering if they’d add the logo back to star wars

Cinema is dead.

Fuck Disney

Pratham wrote:
Yes no one at all.

Well, at least now we'll have more family-friendly superhero movies to look forward to in more cross-overs and we'll get less of everything else because everyone demanded this right?...right?

Batfan175 wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm
Pratham wrote:
Yes no one at all.

Well, at least now we'll have more family-friendly superhero movies to look forward to in more cross-overs and we'll get less of everything else because everyone demanded this right?...right?
What do you mean by that, could you please explain? 🕷️

m4st4 wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 4:38 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm
Pratham wrote:
Yes no one at all.

What do you mean by that, could you please explain? 🕷️
A) Disney never needed to make R-rated films because they're already successful as they are right now with their brand being 'wholesome, family-friendly entertainment' so to anyone who thought that 20th Century Fox wouldn't probably get dissolved: this is how Disney operates. They keep everything that's compatible with the brand and the rest of it they buy anyway and then never use it because noone else gets to use it either for at least a very long time. What would they need to keep 20th Century Fox around for? There are lots of people who predicted this as a likely outcome and everyone told them that this would not happen...

B) people spent lots of money to watch lots of superhero films. Disney buys 20th Century Fox for the X-Men to get more superhero IPs. We asked for more superheroes as far as Disney is concerned and Disney is going to give them to us because they know that's what people pay the most to watch in cinemas currently. Does not mean they need to give us anything else they acquired because superhero franchise films are the most successful IP. Disney does not need to make 'Planet of the Apes' or 'Alien' movies to be financially successful. We decidedly did not demand that entire genres like horror be disregarded by the company but that's what this business decision entailed from the very beginning because Disney has a brand and an image that are very important to the company. The kinds of stories being explored within the horror genre do not mix well with the Disney brand as the company understands it. Horror films can be sad, depressing and strange, not something that Disney specializes in. There were lots of people who were really excited about seeing the Fantastic Four in the MCU and yet I am sure if you asked them now they'd say that they wouldn't want any of this to happen...because they didn't (want to) realize the implications of the merger.