Disney owns 21st Century Fox Entertainment

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 2:30 am
Yes that is definitley a huge reason why. However I still wouldn't underestimate marketing. Recent examples is Knives Out which killed it on that front and now on it's way to getting over 5x its budget at the BO.
Maybe it’s because I live in LA, but I don’t think marketing hasn’t been particularly bad for the Fox films. Marketing costs have become grossly inflated and films market a lot less than they did in the 2000s. I didn’t notice any billboards for Knives Out. Are billboards ineffective or something?

anikom15 wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 1:51 pm
Artemis wrote:
Yes that is definitley a huge reason why. However I still wouldn't underestimate marketing. Recent examples is Knives Out which killed it on that front and now on it's way to getting over 5x its budget at the BO.
Maybe it’s because I live in LA, but I don’t think marketing hasn’t been particularly bad for the Fox films. Marketing costs have become grossly inflated and films market a lot less than they did in the 2000s. I didn’t notice any billboards for Knives Out. Are billboards ineffective or something?
Yeah billboards are usually ineffective due to the brief exposure period. You don't see the ad long enough for it to stick.

The marketing for Knives Out was really clever on social media and it went viral. Scroll through the official twitter page. The tweets were a hit with lots of people and they played into the fandom memes and sweater memes even.

Artemis wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 1:57 pm
anikom15 wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 1:51 pm
Artemis wrote:
Yeah billboards are usually ineffective due to the brief exposure period. You don't see the ad long enough for it to stick.

The marketing for Knives Out was really clever on social media and it went viral. Scroll through the official twitter page. The tweets were a hit with lots of people and they played into the fandom memes and sweater memes even.
You’ve never driven in LA, have you?
Last edited by anikom15 on December 18th, 2019, 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well, I've driven in Houston/Dallas/Austin and let me tell ya, I'm not looking at billboards :lol:

Artemis wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 2:01 pm
Well, I've driven in Houston/Dallas/Austin and let me tell ya, I'm not looking at billboards :lol:
LA traffic is terrible. It takes an hour to drive six miles from Santa Monica to LAX between the hours of 3pm to 9pm. Every highway, street, and ally is full of cars. Even the HOV lanes are stuffed. There is no escape. There are no shortcuts. There is no ‘I’ll go this longer way and it will at least feel faster’. There is only sitting on the brake pedal. You will look at the billboards. You will look at everything around you because you will be bored, tired, and miserable.

Your narrative is kind of dumb. Ford v. Ferrari made more money than Knives Out. Knives Out just had a smaller budget. I don’t think that’s strong enough to show that Knives Out was marketed well and Ford v. Ferrari was marketed poorly. Your evidence is anecdotal at best.

It made like ~~$20m more and came out like what a week or two before? It hasn't even made 2x it's budget back yet.

Artemis wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 2:21 pm
It made like ~~$20m more and came out like what a week or two before? It hasn't even made 2x it's budget back yet.
How does that indicate it was marketed poorly?

It hasn't made 2x its budget and the ROI for FvF is 0.85 while the ROI for Knives Out is 3.075 lol

The film got an A+ from cinemascore, 8.3/10 from IMDb and 98% (4.72) from RT audoence. It's a huge crowd pleaser. They haven't been able to fulfill its much bigger potential so far.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 4:39 pm
The film got an A+ from cinemascore, 8.3/10 from IMDb and 98% (4.72) from RT audoence. It's a huge crowd pleaser. They haven't been able to fulfill its much bigger potential so far.
Yeah I was expecting it to do way bigger numbers based on the audience reception alone. It's a shame because it is a damn good film.