Disney owns 21st Century Fox Entertainment

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 7:05 pm
🕷️

Batfan175 wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 6:24 pm
Disney buys 20th Century Fox for the X-Men to get more superhero IPs.
They did not pay 71 billion dollars just for X-Men and F4. That's ridiculous.
They have plans for other FOX IPs and they need them to make their catalog of films larger. I doubt that they'll include Alien, Predator, Exorcist, Omen or Die Hard on their main DISNEY streaming platform (Avatar, Casper, Home Alone and Ice Age should be right at home, though). They might try to include R-rated IPs on Hulu to make that platform more competitive.

Honestly, nobody knows what their plan is with those films, maybe they'll try to sell them, maybe they'll Disneyfy some of them (like Apes or Kingsman or even Predator). But I'm certain they didn't overpay so much just for X-Men.

LelekPL wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 2:14 am
Batfan175 wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 6:24 pm
Disney buys 20th Century Fox for the X-Men to get more superhero IPs.
They did not pay 71 billion dollars just for X-Men and F4. That's ridiculous.
They have plans for other FOX IPs and they need them to make their catalog of films larger. I doubt that they'll include Alien, Predator, Exorcist, Omen or Die Hard on their main DISNEY streaming platform (Avatar, Casper, Home Alone and Ice Age should be right at home, though). They might try to include R-rated IPs on Hulu to make that platform more competitive.

Honestly, nobody knows what their plan is with those films, maybe they'll try to sell them, maybe they'll Disneyfy some of them (like Apes or Kingsman or even Predator). But I'm certain they didn't overpay so much just for X-Men.
No, obviously they had other things in mind besides acquiring superhero IPs. The whole streaming platform aspect you mention is obviously the main reason for this merger because Hulu is one of the few Netflix competitors out there. There is a stake in Sky in the UK as well, so there is a lot more to it than just getting the X-Men and Fantastic 4 obviously.

But in terms of what kinds of films might get made, IPs like the Fantastic 4 and X-Men would be the ones that Disney is interested in but you are right. We do not know what they'll do with things like 'Predator' but it is unlikely that some of these will not be left unused, given the demands of the Disney brand. They could try to sell them but they also could just keep them without using them. But in any case, Disney has never made an R-rated movie under its brand directly and I would be very surprised if they felt like they needed to do this in order to remain profitable.

Batfan175 wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 4:05 pm
Pratham wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 3:58 am
literally no one saw that coming
Yes no one at all.
when i'm posting in small letters, i'm v v v hecking serious

Fun fact: This absurd overreaction to a rumour article comes from the fans of a director who almost only makes PG-13 movies.£

Master Virgo wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 3:06 am
Fun fact: This absurd overreaction to a rumour article comes from the fans of a director who almost only makes PG-13 movies.£
Don't act like those PG-13 films would ever get greenlit by Disney though with those budgets.

Master Virgo wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 3:06 am
Your snark is exhausting.

and i'd start freaking out when it's revealed that that nolan is buying politicians, killing competition, and trying some borglike cultural assimilation the way the mouse is.

So the Disney taking over FOX saga is finally coming to a close tomorrow. Disney will officially own FOX. That's pretty incredible and I wonder what will happen with FOX. I know thousands of people will lose their jobs but it's still not a sure thing that Disney will disassemble the whole FOX brand. They might still keep it and make more mature content over there. Or just rebrand it but keep some of the people from there.

Naturally most people are interested about three things: Will Marvel be able to do a quick post credits scene with a new baddie after they get the rights to Galactus? (They aren't able to do anything with these IPs until tomorrow so they couldn't even have scheduled additional shots beforehand) Will Disney give Cameron the same freedom with his many Avatar films? (Most likely yes. Right now it will be their second most valuable IP since SW is a bit on the downside) and Will they release the original cuts of the OT of Star Wars in 4K and UHD? It would make the fans swing to their side for a moment but I'm not sure if Lucas still hasn't got some say in that matter.

I'm more interested in what happens with their R-rated content. Alien, Predator and Die Hard have a new owner now and they might be ripe for a reboot or a rebooquel. Unfortunately all three IPs have way underperformed recently but with some Disney talent, they might want to try to bring back their former glory. Or they might look towards Blumhouse and try to replicate their formula with The Exorcist and Omen franchises and try to earn a lot on a cheap production budget.

Right now I have only two questions: R rated properties (specifically Alien) and Fantastic Four. X-Men too I guess.