1917 (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
My problem with the movie is that we're merely witnessing what these characters go through as opposed to feeling immersed in it, which all comes through with Mendes' direction when it should be paired with communicating how we should be feeling through the camera work. With Gravity, we literally go inside Ryan's helmet. With Birdman, the gliding of the camera gives the movie a dream-like atmosphere. 1917, for the most part, prioritizes covering all the action in master shots instead of drawing attention to more intimate, little details that would have made the movie far more intense.

Roger Deakins was the absolute highlight of this film by far, i really enjoyed it, saw it with a couple of friends, they liked it better than Dunkirk, i feel the climax of the film worked so well, it was truly a rush, but i still remember leaving the theater after Dunkirk, i was shaking, maybe a little bit bombshelled, 1917 wasnt as intense of an emotional experience for me, still superb, you cant go wrong with the Mendes-Deakins combo (although Deakins-Villeneuve is goat)

I really liked this movie. I loved the "continuous shot" trick they used. I felt that it made the story more immersive.

I saw this with a friend of mine who's not too much of a movie buff and he said that
he really liked the scenes of the dudes just being dudes. Like when they roast each other in the back of the truck and when Blake tells Scofield that story about the rat chomping on someone's ear. It makes the characters feel so human. It also reminded me of how in They Shall Not Grow Old the dudes being interviewed would share really mundane tidbits about their time in the trenches and they would make jokes and have a laugh.

This didn't make me feel anything new, but it was definitely a film which moved me. The one take didn't scream for attention.

The movie is v solid with some simply stunning moments. Same for the score. The standout moment being The Night Window.

Artemis wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 11:34 pm
I saw this with a friend of mine who's not too much of a movie buff and he said that
he really liked the scenes of the dudes just being dudes. Like when they roast each other in the back of the truck and when Blake tells Scofield that story about the rat chomping on someone's ear. It makes the characters feel so human. It also reminded me of how in They Shall Not Grow Old the dudes being interviewed would share really mundane tidbits about their time in the trenches and they would make jokes and have a laugh.
Yeah. I don’t think it ever felt like it was hindering or interrupting the tension in any way, if anything, it felt like a really genuine approach to the morale of your average soldier of that time (pretty sure those types of convos are timeless lol).

What really left an impression on me
was Blake’s death. Felt truly shocking to see someone I considered the lead at first die such a horrible and pointless death, at such a random point in their mission. And it was so slow and felt so long. As that boy bled out, his face was getting paler by the seconds and it felt really painful to see him stop making sense with his words. It carried genuine human emotion behind it despite not being overtly dramatic and preachy. Dunno, it kind of shook me. Imo incredibly acted scene.
Also,
the river scene where Schofield almost succumbs to exhaustion (or idk almost willingly gives up?) and drowns, but is given second wind after noticing the cherry blossoms falling into the water. I thought that scene, along with him following the sound of singing into the woods, was really beautiful. Felt almost like some kind of divine intervention leading him there.

Yeah that scene when he gets a second wind is really beautifully done. The tranquil look he had on his face when he was with the other soldiers hearing the dude sing really hit me emotionally. He looked so at peace.
I liked his character development too. Like at first he was like
"man, why the fuck did you pick me?"
but then he was like
"damn, i gotta do this for my bro. i need to do this for my bro's bro."
It has beautiful themes of friendship during tumultuous times.

I'm just sitting here, seeing you all use the spoiler tags so correctly

Go see the movie Nomis!!!!! Join the "1917 Good Gang."

I really want to!! But I'm so busy with school and exams coming up next week, I want to go Friday but I don't know if I'll make that

I really want in on that gang :cry: