1917 (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Mendes' films all deal with family units confronting a trauma fundamental to their makeup; I would be surprised if his first credited screenplay didn't do the same.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 4:27 pm
no i of course prefer anecdotes to stats! but in my anecdotal experience i've never came across anyone saying it aged poorly, save for spacy obvs
yeah I feel like I encountered more people expressing disappointment that they won’t be able to view the film in the same light since Spacey

I also don’t think it’s an incredibly “we live in a society” film, though I can see why people would come up with this. I don’t think the film itself aged very poorly, it’s just that it’s stuck in that weird phase where it’s kind of relevant and not really at the same time - white suburban people suffering from mid life crises are pretty “woe is me” in 2019. But it doesn’t mean it doesn’t still happen

Artemis wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 4:31 pm
Someone make a Twitter poll asking if American Beauty aged poorly or not.
It aged like good wine.

Trailer probably Friday.

And first synopsis : Image

CAN'T WAIT.

Oku
OK so it's a much more conventional "man on a mission" type of war movie, where the protagonist is firmly in control of events and keeps pushing the story forward to new locales. (That's one of the biggest problems that casual audiences had with Dunkirk, that the protagonists were helpless and kept having things happen to them with no control or active story progression.)

That sigh of relief that you hear is antovolk going, "Whew, it doesn't sound much like Dunkirk after all!" :lol:

lol

well Mendes has a thing for Nolan ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ace

Copycat.

I’m in. This looks intriguing and Dunkirk turned me fan of the genre but yeah the trailer seems heavily inspired by Dunkirk’s marketing. Not just the marketing but the approach to tell the story.

A bit underwhelmed by that trailer. Deakins cinematography is top notch just as expected, but nothing in that trailer excited/surprised me. Yeah it’s pretty much a Dunkirk clone, but it could be Universal just wanting to replicate that success. Not every WW2 movie goes on to make over $500 million.