The Way Back (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

I couldn't make it 30 seconds into this trailer. Affleck's face is so stupid looking. This will unintentionally be a comedy

idk film looks quite okay lol

I'm still gonna see it but I hope I see it in an empty theater so that no one judges me for laughing.

Chance are the theater will be empty though since this is gonna flop.

The first trailer grew on me, eventually to the point where I cry any time I watch it. This trailer seemed like it sidelined the alcoholism to focus more on the basketball team. I wonder if that was intentional or not. Either way, I'll see this simply because I need a good emotional kick in the ass.

anything by Gavin O'Connor I'll watch. The fact that this is basketball focused is the icing on the cake

in

Artemis wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 5:39 pm
I couldn't make it 30 seconds into this trailer. Affleck's face is so stupid looking. This will unintentionally be a comedy
That's pretty mean.

Ben has been publicly battling alcoholism while still staring in movies with A-list directors and casts. I wouldn't go so far as to say he is washed up. It isn't like he is a bad person, just had a few misfires

Well alcoholism and addiction is a illness that unfortunately for him does not discriminate.

It almost feels like Affleck and McC almost synchronise the ups and downs of their careers with each other.

- Both made their breakthrough with Dazed and Confused back in 1993.

- Late 90s they had success with starring in Oscar drama films like Amistad and Shakespeare in Love

- Early to mid 2000s both started to go off course with poorly recieved action or rom com films like Sahara or Daredevil

- Early 2010s their careers took off into new heights, appearing in stuff with critical as well as commercial success, such as Interstellar, True Detective, Argo or Gone Girl.

- Mid to late 2010s saw them both going into a second hiatus with commercial disappointments and critically panned films like Justice Leage, Live by Night, Dark Tower or Serenity.

- Their latest films have both been mildly successful. Affleck had Triple Frontier and McC appeared in The Gentlemen.