The Way Back (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
artemis, that really hurt. i'd like you to know that i am trying to change my ways and that i really hope to get better. I just hope you get a sense of empathy

Substance abuse is an illness and treating it like anything else is extremely ignorant and mean spirited. It doesn't matter who we're talking about, or what privilege they do or don't have. It's an illness and the stigma around it, the one you're perpetuating right now, is exactly why so few people get the support they really need.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Substance abuse is an illness and treating it like anything else is extremely ignorant and mean spirited. It doesn't matter who we're talking about, or what privilege they do or don't have. It's an illness and the stigma around it, the one you're perpetuating right now, is exactly why so few people get the support they really need.

-Vader
I apologize. I definitely see how bad my comments are now. I take them back.

Growing up in Massachusetts, Affleck saw his own father drunk almost every day, he said. “My dad didn’t really get sober until I was 19. The older I’ve gotten, the more I recognize that my dad did the best he could,” Affleck said. “There’s a lot of alcoholism and mental illness in my family. The legacy of that is quite powerful and sometimes hard to shake.” Affleck’s younger brother, Casey, 44, has spoken about his own alcoholism and sobriety. Their paternal grandmother took her own life in a motel when she was 46. An uncle killed himself with a shotgun. An aunt was a heroin addict. “It took me a long time to fundamentally, deeply, without a hint of doubt, admit to myself that I am an alcoholic,” Ben Affleck said. “The next drink will not be different.”

“I think that Ben, in an artistic way, in a deeply human way, wanted to confront his own issues through this character and heal,” O’Connor said by phone.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/movi ... fleck.html

Artemis wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:34 pm
Vader182 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 3:18 pm

-Vader
I apologize. I definitely see how bad my comments are now. I take them back.
Thank you, and thank you Vader.

You people are way too nice. Can't relate to that much nicety. Lol

Master Virgo wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 6:24 pm
You people are way too nice. Can't relate to that much nicety. Lol
Watch Project Runway if you want some of that meanness. Or Top Model.

I think in general, I'm somewhere between shaming random people based on their bodies, and having empathy for irresponisible fathers who resort to alcoholism at a time that they need to take care of their families.

I understand some folks are just too kind hearted, but I'm not like that for better or worse.

Saying "resort" to alcoholism is like saying "resort" to having depression, or cancer or diabetes. These are physical problems. Frankly surprised to see that kind of toxic "man up" attitude coming from you specifically.

Virgo, I highly recommend you look into Robert Sapolsky's stuff. He's a famed multi-disciplinary endocrinologist who has dedicated his life's work to widening our scope of understanding for behavioral motivation.

His lecture series and books (especially "Behave") completely rewired how I think about issues like free will and accountability and what "empathy" in a scientifically guided modern society should actually mean.

PS, every reliable study ever shown studying addiction has shown the only real antidote for it is empathy, love and community. Stigmatizing mental health issues in general just makes you complicit in the affliction of others.

-Vader

oh my god, Virgo you are insufferable