The Eternals (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So I won’t be able to see this because my homophobic-ass country decided to ban it for a gay motherfucking kiss. I literally seen Kristen Stewart’s side boob the other day in Spencer. Thought maybe things have changed but nope.

And I don’t know where I stand with Disney’s decision. Like okay you’ve made a point but at the same time you’re punishing your LGBTQ+ fans who live in those countries. Who won’t be able to see this movie now. These countries won’t change their views on homosexuality. It’s not going to happen.

At the same time, I’m glad they said no to censorship. I’m so confused at the moment.

Tarssauce wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 2:15 pm
So I won’t be able to see this because my homophobic-ass country decided to ban it for a gay motherfucking kiss. I literally seen Kristen Stewart’s side boob the other day in Spencer. Thought maybe things have changed but nope.

And I don’t know where I stand with Disney’s decision. Like okay you’ve made a point but at the same time you’re punishing your LGBTQ+ fans who live in those countries. Who won’t be able to see this movie now. These countries won’t change their views on homosexuality. It’s not going to happen.

At the same time, I’m glad they said no to censorship. I’m so confused at the moment.
I feel sorry for you not being able to see the film (thought based on reviews, you may not be missing much, lol), but I'm glad Disney for once didn't 'bow to the all might dollar' and censor the film...

radewart wrote:
November 7th, 2021, 3:48 pm
I feel sorry for you not being able to see the film (thought based on reviews, you may not be missing much, lol), but I'm glad Disney for once didn't 'bow to the all might dollar' and censor the film...
Thanks lol. I mean it’s not that long when I had to wait for home media releases to watch films so it’s not the end of the world but it just pissed me off. I don’t really put much thought on reviews. Who knows it might be enjoyable.

Apparently, it’s not just the gay kiss or storyline, they also talk about religion or something.

Yeah pretty mediocre stuff. Not the worst MCU movie, and in terms of bringing the overall lore forwards it actually does a lot. Also I really liked the VFX stuff in this (besides that one thing). But the plot and most of the characters didn't really work for me.

Barry Keoghan as Druig was pretty good though

Repetitive and Silly, but also brimming with ideas, and occasionally fresh. Some amazing visual moments, with a beautiful sense of scale, along with some horrible rubber figures and bad green screen compositing. Some truly soulful moments, with some inert boredom. A movie of contradictions for sure.
Not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. Definitely felt like a comic in the sense that it was very earnest, and dorky. Enjoyed it a lot more than Black Widow, a little less than Shang-Chi. All in all, not even close to being as good as Dune, or Suicide Squad.

I would advise watching the entire video. She speaks specifically about Nolan at 19'30''.

I liked it. Like really.
Not everything works, I think Keoghan's character has such dilemma to deal with that you need much more than just a few scenes to deal with them. I don't think the plot around Jolie's character works really well. Her thematic never affected me in a really emotional way, the way the thematic behind other characters did (Phastos and Sprite mainly)
At the heart of the film is Gemma Chan. Chan is one of the most inspiring Marvel lead. You feel and care for her all along. On the contrary of Black Widow or Captain Marvel, she doesn't beat other men by becoming a better fighter than them. She never becomes a really good fighter, but on the contrary she becomes a leader and an inspiration by letting her more feminine side lead her.
Zhao talked about deconstructing our society based on masculine values and is able to do it in a super-hero movie, the genre that is most centered around virility. That alone is worth celebrating, and the film just constantly has its heart in the right place.

This is a very interesting film, and the simple fact that the reaction aren't just the usual same, as they always are for Marvel film, should show you that it's more interesting than your usual superhero film. You may not like it, and it definitely isn't the best version of what it can be, but it's very interesting and daring.

With Shang-Chi and Eternals, Marvel is off to a great start. It's a pity Loki was so confused in its second half, that the last episode of Falcon and TWS was the worst thing Marvel has ever done, and Wandavision was only good when it focused on its two leads, and a bore when it dealt with its supporting cast.

Now, moving on to Hawkeye!