Us (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I really really loved this. Peele's direction picks up crazy well throughout and I liked how the horror was presented with a "realistic" comedic side always behind it. The final act was awesome
the dance sequence is perfect with the music and editing

The dance sequence gave me major Annihilation vibes.

Absolutely AWESOME. Incredible turn by Lupita especially, so intense throughout and I *need* more more more of that mythology...it's easy to try and compare this to Get Out and they do try different things, but I thought this was a lot more assured and ambitious and I really dug that.

I really loved this movie. I need more time to think on it though. Lots of subtext and themes to work through.

Uh

It’s really well directed but Peele sure ain’t winning à second Oscar screenplay with this

Really predictable and frustrating mythology... I’m disappointed

What a load of fucking cobblers

Really dug the first two acts of this, but really hated the third act. The score/soundtrack specifically was awesome, as well as the performances by Lupita, Winston and Elisabeth specifically.
Last edited by Penguin022 on March 23rd, 2019, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomorrow

-Vader

Just like with Get Out, I felt that I was kept at an emotional distance most of the time, which is why I cannot say that Mr. Peele's films have a profound emotional impact on me. This is partly why I cannot call them masterpieces of horror. I am sad to say that I was not scared once during this film and, while the film is well-acted, well-shot, and while I had not seen this kind of idea done this way before, some of the writing has some major problems: the dialogue gets really exposition-heavy and unnatural sometimes, which does not make the family dynamic as believable as it should be for you to buy into the idea that they are an actual family. I give the film this: it has lots of potentially interesting themes going on that are sure to lead to lots of discussions as to what the film is trying to say but when it finished I was left just kind of cold by the experience. The soundtrack was cool though.

7/10

anepicmoviereviewer wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 10:29 am
The dance sequence gave me major Annihilation vibes.
Yeah me too. The last half hour gave me a lot of those vibes.