Superman: Legacy (2025)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Yet to watch One Night In Miami, but Eli Gorree seems the right level of famous and has the look for Superman.

The other big name at the moment is Rege-Jean Page. Though, he could well be the frontrunner to be the next James Bond.

The actor who plays Superman doesn’t really matter that much imo. He’s not the type of character that demands a strong performance. The best Superman stories are the ones where he’s talking the least. It’s ACTION COMICS not Character Development Comics.

anikom15 wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 5:40 pm
The actor who plays Superman doesn’t really matter that much imo. He’s not the type of character that demands a strong performance. The best Superman stories are the ones where he’s talking the least. It’s ACTION COMICS not Character Development Comics.
You say that, but Henry Cavill really tried to make Superman a quiet, stoically heroic figure. Complete with the big puffed-out chest and slightly furrowed brow to accentuate how earnest and sincere he was. And......(arguably) it didn't work. He came across as oddly muzzled and, at worst, a bit bland.

Compare to say Chris Evans or Gal Gadot, who aren't playing disimilar characters. However, they inject more warmth and charisma. A large part of this comes down to the director's take. Snyder amped up the 'Hercules Greek myth' angle and lost a lot of the Norman Rockwell sense of wonder associated with the character.

An interesting take, but in MoS the soul-searching stuff (which felt like Snyder was basically ripping off Nolan) was far more compelling than the noisy, OTT art direction that Snyder is known for. I think Kermode summarised it perfectly.

LuciusNightmare wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 8:53 pm
anikom15 wrote:
You say that, but Henry Cavill really tried to make Superman a quiet, stoically heroic figure. Complete with the big puffed-out chest and slightly furrowed brow to accentuate how earnest and sincere he was. And......(arguably) it didn't work. He came across as oddly muzzled and, at worst, a bit bland.

Compare to say Chris Evans or Gal Gadot, who aren't playing disimilar characters. However, they inject more warmth and charisma. A large part of this comes down to the director's take. Snyder amped up the 'Hercules Greek myth' angle and lost a lot of the Norman Rockwell sense of wonder associated with the character.

An interesting take, but in MoS the soul-searching stuff (which felt like Snyder was basically ripping off Nolan) was far more compelling than the noisy, OTT art direction that Snyder is known for. I think Kermode summarised it perfectly.

Chris Evans and Gal Gadot aren’t particularly good actors. They only seem to work better because they are in better movies.

Henry Cavill is a good actor in poorly developed movies. If you had Evans as Superman, MoS and BvS would have only suffered for it.

anikom15 wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:09 pm
LuciusNightmare wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 8:53 pm
anikom15 wrote:

Chris Evans and Gal Gadot aren’t particularly good actors. They only seem to work better because they are in better movies.

Henry Cavill is a good actor in poorly developed movies. If you had Evans as Superman, MoS and BvS would have only suffered for it.
I think I agree.

Cavill did some fantastic underrated acting in MoS. There are numerous quiet moments where he's reacting and he's really compelling. Though that does hint at a problem, his Clark is too passive.

I think if they injected him with more charm and charisma it would have gone a long way. People say Nolan's Batman films were grim, but he knew when to be self-aware. Think of the 'I'm Batman'/'Nice coat' scene. It leans into the iconography and let's audiences play with the scene and that's just one example. Another would be the playful dynamic with Alfred. There's nothing like that in MoS. Subsequently, Clark has little interaction with other characters, he hardly has any dialogue and is left as a solemn monolith to stoicism.

Cavill isn't a bad Superman. But MoS is such a mixed-bag of a film.

How many reboots and reimagining does this franchise need? Just let it go.

RockyBalboa wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 2:02 pm
As many as are needed to make us forget Zack Snyder's garbage takes on these characters.

Question is, have we had enough tyrant douchy variations of Superman to satisfy the edgelords of the world or not?

Can we have a decent likeable Superman again?

Batfan175 wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 12:42 am
RockyBalboa wrote:
September 2nd, 2021, 2:02 pm
As many as are needed to make us forget Zack Snyder's garbage takes on these characters.
Discovery should restore the Snyder verse! It took us eons to get to this film, and they are now back to making self-contained films? After making millions of people, invested in the trilogy, have you seen the china figures?

https://rkoutpost.com/rk-outpost-live/z ... -in-china/ People yearn to see more of this, not a reboot!

Master Virgo wrote:
September 3rd, 2021, 4:58 am
Question is, have we had enough tyrant douchy variations of Superman to satisfy the edgelords of the world or not?

Can we have a decent likeable Superman again?
I think it is too soon for yet another reboot. I could be mistaken. I can't see myself sitting down to watch Kal-el go through the motions again.