Birds of Prey and the fantabulous emancipation of one harley quinn (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I thought it was a breath of fresh air, both times I watched it when cinemas were opened.

Batfan175 wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 2:36 pm
bootsy wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 10:13 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Even if this ends up never getting a sequel, imo it's one of the best comicbook movies ever made.
Why do you say this? What makes it one of the best?
Honestly, the characters (especially Harley, Black Canary, Black Mask, etc.) were tons of fun and well-played by all the actors (Ewan McGregor actually reminded me of Gary Oldman from Léon a couple of times) and this is a superhero film where every single character dynamic reinforces and works to build on the underlying theme, which is women's (lack of) power in society as expressed through the different interpersonal relationships (Montoya and her colleague, Harley and her abusive relationship with the Joker, Black Canary and her boss Black Mask, Huntress and the mobsters) and their quest to gain some sort of agency and a) I have not seen many superhero films tackle this thematic and b) I have not seen many other superhero films that center all their characters around a central theme this well without it being preachy and heavy-handed but this manages to avoid that very nicely. I also enjoy that it is a small-scale story that manages to be unabashedly fun without all the CG explosions and the world-ending stakes. The action is inventive and fun and the soundtrack rocks. Don't need more than that. I'm not saying it's better than The Dark Knight but I am quite sure there is no other superhero flick like it.
I'm very much in line with you. Thanks for this

Boy am I glad to see there are people truly into this. One of my bros adores it, while other is meh about it.