Birds of Prey and the fantabulous emancipation of one harley quinn (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
All that aside, you can tell writers were dying to use that pun for FvF.

Regardless of the budget, Birds of Prey should easily have made more than something like Ford v Ferrari considering the stars and characters attached. But go ahead and get sarcastic, Virgo.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Ford vs Ferrari's budget is $100M, Birds' is $84M.

Basic box office rules indeed.
LOL. :clap:

Bacon wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:58 pm
Regardless of the budget, Birds of Prey should easily have made more than something like Ford v Ferrari considering the stars and characters attached. But go ahead and get sarcastic, Virgo.
That's why people on here said the marketing team failed the film. Doesn't mean the film's bad, only that the studio didn't really bother to sell the film well and people didn't really feel like they had to watch it. Deadpool is an R-rated superhero action comedy that made tons of money but that had an excellent marketing campaign behind it. You also have excellent films like Blade Runner that underperformed dramatically at the time they were released and which are now considered classics. Box office says nothing about the actual quality of the film, only how many people went to see it.

Yeah, my bad.

A DC superhero movie about Harley Quinn should totally make the same (or less) as a biographical movie about cars racing in today's day and age. Obviously. Shame on journalists and all the people on this site for trying to say this movie is under performing.

Bacon wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 3:00 am
Yeah, my bad.

A DC superhero movie about Harley Quinn should totally make the same (or less) as a biographical movie about cars racing in today's day and age. Obviously. Shame on journalists and all the people on this site for trying to say this movie is under performing.
You’re missing the point. We are merely talking about profit/breaking even. To deem that a success and this a flop just off opening weekend is not fair. I also think you're forgetting/ignoring this "biographical movie about cars racing" starred Matt Damon and Christian Bale.

m4st4 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:23 am
Solid 48% drop for the second weekend and final tally looking like 220-240 right now. Will just about cover the expenses and hopefully earn a little during DVD/bluray release.

Seen it yet, NFs?!
Ye

Allstar wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 4:34 am
Bacon wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 3:00 am
Yeah, my bad.

You’re missing the point. We are merely talking about profit/breaking even. To deem that a success and this a flop just off opening weekend is not fair. I also think you're forgetting/ignoring this "biographical movie about cars racing" starred Matt Damon and Christian Bale.
But box office projections and expectation are real, it's not something journalists made up. It's perfectly sensible - in my opinion - that the projections for Birds of Prey and Ford v Ferrari were hugely different, and one being a success while the other is a flop is related to this, and this alone. Implying that they call BoP a flop only because it's an all-female cast sounds very much like a conspiracy theory to me, and not one of the good ones(?)...

You got it backwards there bro.

A movie that makes $220M on a budget of $100M is in flop zone. A movie that is heading towards $250M, without China, on a budget of $80M is in breaking even territory.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 9:50 am
You got it backwards there bro.

A movie that makes $220M on a budget of $100M is in flop zone. A movie that is heading towards $250M, without China, on a budget of $80M is in breaking even territory.
Indeed. It is also true that BoP is underperforming. It was perfectly reasonable to expect healthier numbers based on previous brand recognition, and yet BoP is currently only in the 'break even' territory, despite being a critical and audience success (well, at least among those who have seen it).

WB marketing, imo, was a major factor of its disadvantage.