The Lighthouse (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
After finding The WItch to be incredibly overrated, I came into this with some reservation but I truly loved it. Not only is the cinematography exceptional here but also the acting, writing, comedy and eeriness is done much better. Here's the thing about "weird" movies - in order to make me want to analyse it and dive deep into it, it also has to be entertaining enough for me to care to do so and The Lighthouse does just that. That's the difference between his last and this movie. It hides it's meaning under layers of strange visions and unorthodox story but it's still a good and enjoyable experience at the same time.

I loved the writing here, especially for Wake, who's hilarious, but also the meta commentary made by Winslow is probably the comedic highlight of the film. Naturally, the atmosphere is built up to perfection thanks to amazing sound design and mixing, music and the perfect use of black and white photography - it's not only the lack of colors but also how Eggers uses lighting and shadows that's key here (I wish more filmmakers would incorporate it in horror films but judging by the films financial gains, that's unlikely).

The only drawback I can see, is that I can't see myself revisiting the film too often (scenes yes). The lack of a stronger story doesn't quite elevate the film to best of the year, where it actually should have been.

:think:

Is it spoilery? I'm saving myself for the theatrical experience, at the end of next month

Allstar wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:43 am
Reacting to the film or the Oscar snub?

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 12:07 pm
Allstar wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:43 am
Reacting to the film or the Oscar snub?
Yeah I just finally saw this. Was still marinating it.

So so good

Would appreciate an analysis from Vader on this one tbh. Haven’t seen him do one for this. The acting, cinematography and atmosphere are right there with the best I’ve seen this year, perhaps the best. That said, I was kind of baffled how to interpret certain things that happened and the intention. I mean I have my interpretations but I’m not sure it’s “right”. I did no reading up on it or watch analysis videos, wanted to marinate it more and maybe watch again.

Allstar wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:09 pm
Would appreciate an analysis from Vader on this one tbh. Haven’t seen him do one for this. The acting, cinematography and atmosphere are right there with the best I’ve seen this year, perhaps the best. That said, I was kind of baffled how to interpret certain things that happened and the intention. I mean I have my interpretations but I’m not sure it’s “right”. I did no reading up on it or watch analysis videos, wanted to marinate it more and maybe watch again.
I mean well when I say this - why do you think there's one 'right' thing to interpret this movie? I believe there's plenty of room to say whatever it is you've seen in it, the movie gives you that sort of space.

I loved this so much between. Baffled by the lack of love from the Academy.

m4st4 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:15 pm
Allstar wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:09 pm
I mean well when I say this - why do you think there's one 'right' thing to interpret this movie? I believe there's plenty of room to say whatever it is you've seen in it, the movie gives you that sort of space.

I loved this so much between. Baffled by the lack of love from the Academy.
That’s certainly true and a misphrase on my part and I know you mean well. I guess I am trying to say I’m struggling with Eggers intent to a degree despite being fond by so much of it. The Witch on the other hand just fully clicked with me right away.