Dolittle (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
now that's a big oof

anybody have a chance to see this, how was it? And i don't mean gauge your reaction by critic reviews. This kind of film always had a charm to it, a kind of throwback to when an actor would create an iconic children's character in a big family adventure epic.

kamarozy wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 1:32 pm
anybody have a chance to see this, how was it? And i don't mean gauge your reaction by critic reviews. This kind of film always had a charm to it, a kind of throwback to when an actor would create an iconic children's character in a big family adventure epic.
Well yes, I like to make my own opinions usually but if everyone says it's shit I don't wanna be the one to smell it.

Apparently he gives
a dragon a colonic and pulls out all kinds of... things

https://www.wsj.com/articles/universal- ... 1579195165

Paywall but well worth the read.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/worst-part ... -reshoots/

Some of it summarized in here.

Choice quotes:

"In a pivotal scene in Universal Pictures’ “Dolittle,” hitting theaters Friday, the title character—a doctor, played by Robert Downey Jr., who can converse with animals—relieves an ornery beast’s indigestion by removing debris from its rectum. Flatulence jokes ensue.

The scene was added late in the filmmaking process, one of several efforts Comcast Corp.’s Universal made to try to ensure a return on the $175 million it invested in the family-friendly movie, according to a person close to the production.

The studio’s decision to tinker with a nearly finished film delayed its release by nine months as it commissioned script rewrites and hired two new directors to help with about three weeks of additional photography, according to people familiar with the production. The goal of these measures, these people said, was to craft a sillier movie more likely to appeal to younger moviegoers and overseas audiences."

"After test-screening Mr. Gaghan’s initial version of the movie, Universal worried it wasn’t lighthearted enough to connect with children and families around the globe, according to people familiar with the production. The studio decided the movie needed more computer-generated animals and more laughs, the people said, and called in filmmakers and screenwriters with more experience in the genre. They said these included directors Chris McKay of “The Lego Batman Movie” and Jonathan Liebesman of “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.”"

Not surprised that Gaghan who has struggled with studios before got chewed up by a big studio. It's infuriating to see yet another big studio (looking at you WB) tinkering with one of their big movies, trying to make it more accessible, watering it down and it ending up trashed. How many times before they get it?

I hope Gaghan steers clear from those kinds of films, it is surprising he even signed on in the first place, but it's clear he had something else in mind there. He should work with Netflix. Gold was an excellent film that didn't get the attention it deserved.