Devs (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well...hopefully it sticks the landing somewhat in 7 & 8 because 5 & 6 have been the two weakest episodes so far and kind of grinded things down almost to a halt except with at least one outstanding issue yet to play itself out. The level of exposition - particularly of stuff the audience does know but the certain other characters don't know - in the last episode has got to break some rules lol

Personal episode ratings (max :thumbup: :thumbup: )
Episode 1 :thumbup:
Episode 2 :thumbup:
Episode 3 :thumbup:
Episode 4 :thumbup:
Episode 5 :thumbup: :thumbdown:
Episode 6 :thumbdown:
Episode 7 :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Just binged it and I have mixed feelings about it

Garland is just an amazing director. Some sequences in this were absolutely unforgettable sci-fi imagery. Cinematography, production design and score were all extraordinary.

The actual plot was underwhelming and the acting choices were definitely not to my taste. It also dragged a lot, I fail to see why this needed to be a 8-hour miniseries and not a film.

Yeah as a movie this could have been a :thumbup: , but instead it’s closer to a :thumbup: :thumbdown: because of all the recap dialogue and padding if not the mostly flat direction Garland gave to the actors. When the show concentrated on the thriller aspects like the first four and the last episode I was happiest.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 9:33 pm
Just binged it and I have mixed feelings about it

Garland is just an amazing director. Some sequences in this were absolutely unforgettable sci-fi imagery. Cinematography, production design and score were all extraordinary.

The actual plot was underwhelming and the acting choices were definitely not to my taste. It also dragged a lot, I fail to see why this needed to be a 8-hour miniseries and not a film.
Yeah, this is honestly my least favorite Garland work and that includes movies he just wrote. I’m a huge fan and I just merely liked this.

Same. I liked its ambition, loved the atmosphere and visuals, didn’t mind the slow burn factor. But I barely clicked with its plot and didn’t really click with the acting at all. And that is almost solely thanks to Mizuno, because others (esp Pill and Offerman) are great and adapt to the bizarre feel of the show seamlessly. The writing of Lily bothered me way too much at times, to the point where I found that hard to get over.

This sucks because I really wanted to love it, and I still think it’s actually pretty good, but the very fact that I personally don’t love it as I expected makes me almost think of it less than I should. Idk. Determinism and the concept of free will (or the lack of) are so cool and worthy of being discussed in media more. But this show self sabotages by making you not care at all.

Forrest/Offerman is really the only great character/performance in this.