The Mandalorian (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I don't see how a statement like that is relevant to anything. Because if it's irrational to be excited for a project before seeing footage if you are positive to certain known elements beforehand (like the source material, director, actors ect.), seeing set photos or watching a trailer doesn't make those feelings any more rational considering there are millions of examples of films being shit even with perfect marketing.
Bacon wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 3:45 pm
So we shouldn't get excited about Nolan's next project if we go in blind without seeing footage?
Great example.

I’m talking from a cold hearted pragmatic perspective, because you can never really know if a certain project will end up meeting your expectations.

Of course, us being the way we are, we will always get excited about something without a single proof of its quality, therefore the hype will begin.

I’m saying when you can, like in this case - don’t get excited too soon, just wait it out and see what happens. Capish?

Well, that's a much better way of saying it.

Sanchez wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Well, that's a much better way of saying it.
Sorry if I wasn’t too clear the first time around. I mean, my whole life has been one big anticipation of... something on the horizon. But over the years I wised up so to speak, after many ‘burns’ I started narrowing down to what I believe are absolutely safe hype machines. Like Bacon mentioned: our Lord and Savior etc.

Take for example your avy? I believe, right now, TR is a 50-50% shot, of course depending on your expectations.

My philosophy is basically - fingers crossed and think positive before the release date of any movie that I’m following in my mind, but after it releases anything goes and I’ll try to judge it on its own merits no matter what.

"The best choice should be based on talent, not their gender or ethnicity.
Then why is the best choice always a white man?

who said that?

BlairCo wrote:
March 9th, 2018, 3:38 am
Because you can count the women who would have the resume needed to make one of these movies on one hand.

The fault isn't (mostly) KK's. Women and POC are rarely given the opportunities needed to build the experience to compete on this level in the first place. Star Wars IP's main goal is to rehabilitate the image of Star Wars, which is why throwing ridiculous cash at reshoots is worth it to them. It's less what each movie makes individually, but what each successive "good Star Wars movie" adds to the value of the IP overall. It makes a sense in a sad kind of way why they're ruthlessly picky about who they hire.

The only alternative is to be Marvel where 30-50% of each movie isn't actually directed by the "director." Otherwise it's a huge risk in opposition to the goal of rehabilitating the Star Wars IP. Change needs to happen on every level of this industry, but tossing major movies to women and POC who can't handle them does more harm than good (Ava Duverney).

-Vader

BlairCo wrote:
:lol:

Vader182 wrote:
March 9th, 2018, 4:17 am
BlairCo wrote:
Because you can count the women who would have the resume needed to make one of these movies on one hand.

The fault isn't (mostly) KK's. Women and POC are rarely given the opportunities needed to build the experience to compete on this level in the first place. Star Wars IP's main goal is to rehabilitate the image of Star Wars, which is why throwing ridiculous cash at reshoots is worth it to them. It's less what each movie makes individually, but what each successive "good Star Wars movie" adds to the value of the IP overall. It makes a sense in a sad kind of way why they're ruthlessly picky about who they hire.

The only alternative is to be Marvel where 30-50% of each movie isn't actually directed by the "director." Otherwise it's a huge risk in opposition to the goal of rehabilitating the Star Wars IP. Change needs to happen on every level of this industry, but tossing major movies to women and POC who can't handle them does more harm than good (Ava Duverney).

-Vader
lets look at all those white dudes who could handle big movies: rian sorta fucked it up, gareth clearly fucked it up, lucas fucked all the prequels, and apparently lord and miller fucked it up. movies are a crap shoot, lets diversify who's allowed to wreck this franchise

regardless of my personal feelings on any of the above movies you can't say they're not gigantic successes. and frankly, I can imagine KK's clashes with filmmakers has only made her more selective in who she hires, not more open.

I can't say I blame her, either. If I make a bad hire at work, my next choice is almost always going to be more conservative.

-Vader