The Mandalorian (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I liked it as well. It's Star Wars by the way of standard MCU.

Low stakes episodes with no real sense of threat, constantly setting up for the future investments. Likeable leads, forgettable villains, characters introduced then assembled for quest after quest, etc.

It's what the nerddom desires the most, and they are perfectly following the formula.

For me personally, there is plenty to like, but very little to love.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 5:00 am

Low stakes episodes with no real sense of threat, constantly setting up for the future investments. Likeable leads, forgettable villains, characters introduced then assembled for quest after quest, etc.

It's what the nerddom desires the most, and they are perfectly following the formula.

The bond between Baby Yoda and The Mandalorian, especially in the last few episodes, makes me more genuinely emotional than just about anything ever has in the MCU. The story they've told around Din this season is quite fantastic. This is also vastly more cinematic and visually motivated in its storytelling. Elemental simplicity. MCU is ..wet concrete. So I don't really buy the MCU comparison tbh.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 6:01 am
Master Virgo wrote:

The bond between Baby Yoda and The Mandalorian, especially in the last few episodes, makes me more genuinely emotional than just about anything ever has in the MCU. The story they've told around Din this season is quite fantastic. This is also vastly more cinematic and visually motivated in its storytelling. Elemental simplicity. MCU is ..wet concrete. So I don't really buy the MCU comparison tbh.

-Vader
In terms of look, Mando, same as Marvel has had ups and downs. Calling MCU in its entirety being wet concrete, is a bit of an unfair assessment. Ragnarok, Panther and Guardians are gorgeous films with some striking cinematic moments for instance.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 6:57 am
Vader182 wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:

-Vader
In terms of look, Mando, same as Marvel has had ups and downs. Calling MCU in its entirety being wet concrete, is a bit of an unfair assessment. Ragnarok, Panther and Guardians are gorgeous films with some striking cinematic moments for instance.
I agree with your stance towards Guardians although Vol 1 in my opinion, and to a certain extent with the visual appeal Ragnarok had. Panther had its moments. But the last two as "gorgeous" films all the way through? Mmmm not quite to me. As for striking cinematic moments, even though I know you said some, I remember many on Guardians but the other two, well, they weren’t really that gripping or enthralling from my perspective. However, I wouldn’t refer to the MCU as wet concrete in general either though.

Nonetheless, I find mando to be more of a consistently delightful experience, and I agree with the thought of it being more cinematic and visually motivated in its storytelling.

Vader182 wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:

-Vader
Vastly? It still varies from surprisingly high budget and epic to mid effort TV. MCU had so many movies that it can't not have it's cinematic, high budget, unforgettable moments, even if it's generally corporate as fuck.

S02E08 Spoilers

How are supposed professionals worse than fanmade efforts ugh.

Love this.

Well I finished this and I have to confirm that the emotion of the entire last sequence is absolutely ruined by the horrific CGI.

Like, it's all I could think about until the credits rolled.

It's made worse by the fact that the effects in this show are near flawless otherwise.

Like, it's laughable, it's like they did it as a joke.

I guess even Favreau couldn't protect Carano this time.