The Mandalorian (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 6:52 pm
I'm not saying he's not talented, his talent is exactly the problem. He's able to make extremely toxic material genuinely funny, making them reach all the wider audience and being all the more persuasive. And yes, I absolutely think people should be held accountable when they make art that uplifts, enables and validates a toxic audience and do so knowingly for years. Burr would be far more innocuous if he wasn't so funny.

And I'm not saying he doesn't have bits that aren't non-problematic and still hilarious, he does. He's a funny guy. He's a great comic. But I have serious reservations about him even if he's slowly grown out of jokes he made... *check notes* ... only a few years ago. I mean he went on national television and made a joke about repeatedly misgendering someone. I'm pretty far from the PC police, what bugs me is more just how unnecessary it is that he "punches down" and to please an audience that is largely hateful.

And yeah, I think a lot of comics have done similar things. Burr goes farther than most who are known at his level.

-Vader
Do you think one can laugh at an offensive joke but also not believe in it at all? I think people laugh at the absurdity. I think that’s the majority of his audience since it’s so huge and unfortunately some of them are genuine bigots. Again, the trans jokes are just bad/not funny and I agree with you on that.

Burr's bit about a guy who had cancer and went on a helicopter cruise is probably the funniest stand up bit I have ever sit through. Mudering people on a sidewalk to become famous is another one that really got me. He just has a great talent for dark material and making it really funny. Some might say, it's easy to make fun of taboo topics but judging by how successful he is and how consistently funny he is, not many people, if any, are as good at it as him. And I don't fault him for some of the audience he has. Nolan has had many right wingers love his Batman films for being anti-Occupy Wall Street and pro-billionaires and it doesn't make me like his movies any less.

I totally forgot Rodriguez directed Episode 6 (or Chapter 14), so first I thought the action looked a bit cheap, and I couldn't think why, as previous episodes delivered cinematic, AAA action set pieces. Then I saw the credits roll, and suddenly it all made sense - still, I'm not sure this sort of aesthetic is good for the series.

I'm sure some people found the entrance and presence of that certain character a bit underwhelming, I felt the same for a couple of minutes, but then I kind of went with it and, to be honest, maybe this is one of the issues titanic franchises like SW have to deal with: we are all yearning for these huge revelations and mind-melting moments, but I truly think the creators of The Mandalorian are taking a different course. I hope it's intentional, because I think it's really clever not to hype these moments up to the max. It all brings this whole franchise down to earth. I... really like it.

And I still think this is the best '90s show made in 2020. It's not perfect, sometimes it's clunky, sometimes there's Bill Burr to take you out of the whole thing, but I am charmed by it. I wish many people could look at this show the same way.

I know Disney doesn't know how long this will 'air' but, has there even been some talk about how many seasons they sort of envision?

Other than a really patchy CG job (you'll know when you see it), this finale was everything I ever want in a Star War. Season 2 fucking rocks!
Seriously, I don't understand why they don't cast a younger Luke Skywalker. If they can cast a young Han and Lando, they can cast a young Luke. The reveal of a de-aged Mark Hamill completely ruined a sensational and stadium erupting moment. I would have lost my nut if it was revealed to be Sebastian Stan instead.

I have only seen the scene so I can't comment for the context. But they really just did a ''badass'' hallway scene like Vader in Rogue One to make fans lose their minds?
Rian Johnson is never coming back to Star Wars lol

Didn't like the CG approach, BUT otherwise it was fantastic. I just think that it would've been even greater without that. But... yeah, great fun.
I honestly think that they missed the momentous opportunity to re-cast Luke and stop this youthification bullshit once and for all. They should have just balls to the walls get a young, blonde actor and recast Luke. Make his nose and lips in make-up to resemble Hamill's a bit more, and that's it. You can even show him and Grogu on future adventures. Now that would be a step in the good direction, otherwise we'll still going to see the CG heads of Leia and Luke in 2050.

This

Damn it. Should've been...
Ahsoka.
Now I will constantly cringe thinking about that...
7/10 Deepfake job with different voice actor.
Everything else this season was so much better than season 1.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 2:43 pm
This

I don't agree, and it's weird to say that it has been swallowed by nostalgia just now. Look at Rogue One, look at Solo. Look at Rise of Skywalker. SW has already been devoured by nostalgia, way before The Mandalorian has entered the scene. But with The Mandalorian I can actually whole-heartedly give it a second chance, because this whole series feels like how nostalgia and fan service should be done, and should've ever been done with SW.

I think it touches on these old characters, well-known concepts the right way. I think it is almost like the perfect spin-off for Star Wars, one that knows how and when to step closer to the original films. As I explained, I wasn't entirely happy with the ending - especially on a technical level -, but I can just give it a clean slate and look at the TV show like nothing ever came before it.