The Mandalorian (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This episode was quite an improvement over the previous one, as much as I love Carl Weathers lol.

Legit and unexpectedly teared up watching episode 5 (chapter 13) thinking damn, this is my Star Wars, back at it again. Felt awesome. 🥺

Binged all five today, lol. Favreau owns this shit man. Filoni did his baby good but Favreau would destroy it. Still very good.

Dude, that cinematography! That lighting in her skin with that background :o :o
Also, Rosario Dawson is gorgeous.

Oku
Just binged season 2 episodes 1 through 4, and it's more of the same mediocrity from season 1.

A bunch of inconsequential stuff happens to characters that you don't care about.

Every episode is the Mandalorian walking up to an NPC to get a quest and curbstomping through everything in his path while he listens to Spotify or some shit.

The action isn't interesting, the dialogue is unmemorable, the plot is non-existent, and there's no intrigue, no sense of mystery, nothing to keep you hooked and wanting to watch more.

It's really weird because I love Rogue One, and both this and Rogue One have similar tones, lack of memorable characters, very little lightsabers or Jedi, etc., so I should feel similarly about the two, but...I don't.

Ivan wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 8:43 am
Dude, that cinematography! That lighting in her skin with that background :o :o
Also, Rosario Dawson is gorgeous.
Truth.

Best episode of the series, prob easily. Filoni needs to write more eps and the show would have better quality, his direction was great too.

Man, that was a lot of episode crammed into 32 minutes. As a ride it was one of the best the series has done, just wall to wall action and intensity.

I will say, though, that also felt like a big budget fan film. Robert Rodriguez's direction often had the feel of the couple of college students playing Star Wars in the Hollywood Hills. It gave the episode a kind of kinetic energy and immediacy I appreciated, but it often seemed clunky and it revealed the seams on a lot of the CGI and costumes. It's a trade off of a cinematic sheen for a more visceral and kinetic episode. Which, honestly, I mostly loved as a change of pace. Rodriguez's framing and cutting of the action was just terrific.

Big spoiler:
I will also say I'm a bit let down by Boba Fett's entrance. Temuera Morrison's performance wasn't always amazing (all those hammy big eye kill faces + some flat deliveries), and the armor didn't exactly fit him like a glove. Added to the kind of "Cheap" feel of a lot of it. But still, amazing work all around.
But I'll be damned if that wasn't 32 minutes of Star Wars delight.

I also wonder if Rodriguez will be back for the finale or if Favreau will return?

-Vader

The first half of the season was middling. The last two eps are the best of the show to date, honestly prob easily. Awesome. Hope the last two can finish as strong then this will certainly top S1.

Have a feeling Grogu is going to be around for a long time in various different things. Taika’s new movie might involve him when he’s a young adult or something.

Allstar wrote:
December 5th, 2020, 12:10 am
The first half of the season was middling. The last two eps are the best of the show to date, honestly prob easily. Awesome. Hope the last two can finish as strong then this will certainly top S1.

Have a feeling Grogu is going to be around for a long time in various different things. Taika’s new movie might involve him when he’s a young adult or something.
The opener is amazing too though. We have 3 amazing episodes (1,5,6) with 3 still very good ones imo. Leaps and bounds above S1 overall for me.

-Vader

Carano wasn't enough, now I have to suffer
Bill Burr, again
as well. Yikes.

Anyway, good episode. For the first time in this show, I felt some resemblance of a sense of threat. I take it.