Blade Runner (1982) vs Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Which film would you say offers a richer cinematic experience?

Blade Runner (1982)
63%
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
37%

Total votes: 46

I can see the perspectives of both sides. But I'm genuinely interested in discussions about comparing the different elements of the two, where do you think one of them comes short and where does the other triumph?

The poll is also thrown in for good measure.£

Blade Runner was groundbreaking and one of a kind, yeah

but my heart would probably go for 2049, I gotta say

There should've been an option for Both.

It genuinely shocks me that 2049 is actually good enough to be in this debate. A lot of us had little to no faith in it since its inception myself in included. Hard to decide, but I'd edge out 2049

This is a hard question. I saw the original for the first time a month or so before 2049 came out and I was really impressed by it. Looking at the cultural importance of that movie and the quality of it in the context of the time it was released, I would argue that the original Blade Runner is the best film. But 2049 made a bigger impression on me personally, so it's hard not to say I like that the most.

I would probably opt for Riddles Blade Runner.
With the main reason being I've never seen it on the big screen ,so that in itself will be a new experience to indulge oneself in the ground-breaking design. And of course Hauer's performance which for me takes it up a notch compared to that of the performances in BR2049. Very good that they were (in BR2049) Hauer is just the spark that lights the fire.
Plus to hear Vangelis's beautiful dreamy score in a theatre environment cannot be overlooked.

Couldn't have asked for a more apt sequel though in BR2049.

The original, easily

Objectively and subjectively speaking.

I wasn’t much of a fan of the original. It never clicked for me. With 2049 I felt I had a meditative experience. I left the cinema thinking, “That was utterly indescribable.” In that regard, I kinda dislike comparing them. I feel like the cinematic experience has a significant influence on my love for 2049.
Last edited by cooldude on February 11th, 2018, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

first one is barely even a movie TBH