A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Numbers wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:09 pm
Artemis wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:08 pm
Numbers wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Seeing this later today. Can't wait.
Are you at TIFF? You also mentioned you were seeing Joker too.

I hope you enjoy this movie! Let us know what you think!
Yeah. Been making it an annual thing to attend TIFF. Toronto is my happy place.
I hope things are going good for you. It's nice to hear that Toronto is treating you well.

After going to Toronto last January, I'd love to see the city come to life during TIFF. Hope I can go within the next three years.

I didn't expect the film to tackle issues that were relevant to my life right now, but I kinda appreciated that it did.

This was a charming tribute to Fred Rogers. It's a great companion piece to last year's Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Tom Hanks will likely score a nom for Best Supporting... Matthew Rhys and Chris Cooper turned in notable performances as well.

Lastly... Marielle Heller continues to impress me with her ability to mine emotion from even the subtler moments.

Glad to see this is getting positive reviews (97% on RT with 8.09/10 average rating).

I'm really, really glad I saw the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor before seeing this movie because is not really a biopic. And that's a very good thing. It doesn't rehash what the documentary did so well. Instead of talking about Mr. Roger's accomplishments and life, it shows his impact through the eyes of a cynical and very angry reporter named Lloyd Vogel. In some ways by approaching the story through a cynic's eyes, we see how Mr. Roger's holds up under all of the skepticism and bitterness of a jaded adult. And he's still magical. His impact is undeniable and Tom Hanks really does channel his spirit. I walked into this movie with a chip on my shoulder because I was so enamored with the documentary, and I thought Hollywood was gonna try to steal it's thunder, but after watching Lloyd's journey to forgiveness and hope by way of meeting Mr. Rogers, I think It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is a perfect compliment to the documentary. It makes you want to know more about Mr. Roger's life and it will probably draw people to go seeking the documentary afterwards. I also love this approach to telling someone's story. You don't really get their full story, but you come away a more intimate understanding how they touched people and made a difference in the world.

It ran a little long, but other than that, this was a great movie.

9/10 for me.