West Side Story (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
One of the two projects Steven Spielberg is circling to direct next. The other one being Indiana Jones 5.

Spielberg has been interesting in adapting the classic star-crossed-lovers musical drama for years. He previously described it as "one of the greatest pieces of musical literature."
Per report, Tony Kushner (Munich, Lincoln), another of Spielberg’s frequent collaborators, has been working on the script.
Robert Wise and Jerome Robbins directed the original 1961 film adaptation based on the Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein, and Arthur Laurents musical.

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-wes ... /#the-post

Fuck not a West Side Story remake. R.I.P Robopocalypse.

Just fuck off, already.

Indy 5 and now this. #TimesUp

Odd.£

I'm okay with this as long as they cast the characters correctly. A great text like West Side Story deserves a racially accurate version.

Proof that this guy has run out of ideas and is just coasting.

But will he finally use 65mm?

Spielberg/Kaminski/65mm... Fuck yes.

That would be a waste of film. Why does this movie need to be remade?

Let him do it. I don't care. There are multiple adaptations of the book The Phantom of the Opera, some of them worse than others. If he's only remaking the musical West Side Story because the film's brand has some monetary value to the studio he probably shouldn't do it because I hate having my time wasted. But other than that he can try to do it. If he can bring something new and different to it that's fine. Ultimately, I don't have to watch it if I don't want to.

dream project of his and Tony Kushner writing is making me curious at least

Definitely a more interesting project than Indy 5.