West Side Story (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Oku
ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 5:57 pm
I'm realising that my ignore list isn't as judicious as it should be.
Are you talking about me?

Sorry I don't bow down to The Church of The Beach Scene.

Excuse me if I want some actual nuance and subtlety to a scene, instead of obnoxious shaky-cam, overacting, and gore being shoved down my throat.

Son of Saul did it, and it was many times more riveting and horrifying.

A lot of people these days will put you on ignore, block etc whenever they don't agree with them. It's a new sad trend to hide in a bubble of information that only lines up with their taste and opinions. Don't like the way they talk? Block. This person over here didn't agree with me five times in a row? Put em on ignore! Ouuu that person talked back? Delete! That social media attitude unfortunately leaks into message boards like this. There's plenty of ppl here who I don't agree with, and I'll never put them on an ignore list. Everyone should be heard.

i don't have an ignore list, but there are a certain few users whose posts i've began skipping when i visit a Spielberg thread

Oku
shauner111 wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 6:35 pm
A lot of people these days will put you on ignore, block etc whenever they don't agree with them. It's a new sad trend to hide in a bubble of information that only lines up with their taste and opinions. Don't like the way they talk? Block. This person over here didn't agree with me five times in a row? Put em on ignore! Ouuu that person talked back? Delete! That social media attitude unfortunately leaks into message boards like this. There's plenty of ppl here who I don't agree with, and I'll never put them on an ignore list. Everyone should be heard.
Yeah my list is empty too.
Michaelf2225 wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 9:59 pm
i don't have an ignore list, but there are a certain few users whose posts i've began skipping when i visit a Spielberg thread
Who them

Michaelf2225 wrote:
That's fair. As for my opinions of him, I get that it's unpopular. I do think he's talented (duh) and I'll always enjoy my favorite films of his, but a lot of his work is too comfortable for my taste.

oh well

Ansel Elgort to Star in Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’
Ansel Elgort has been cast as Tony in Steven Spielberg’s adaptation of the Broadway musical “West Side Story.”

Pulitzer prize winner and Oscar nominee Tony Kushner penned the revival of the 1957 musical, which was originally written by Arthur Laurents and Stephen Sondheim with music by Leonard Bernstein. Spielberg, Kevin McCollum and Kristie Macosko Krieger will produce the movie for Fox. Filming for “West Side Story” is set to begin in the summer of 2019.

Larry Kert played Tony in the original 1957 Broadway musical, which earned six Tony nods. “West Side Story” was inspired by William Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” and centers on the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs. Richard Beymer portrayed Tony, the founder of the Jets, in the 1961 film.

It was 57 years ago that Rita Moreno won an Oscar for her turn as Anita in the 1961 classic West Side Story, and now the EGOT winner has signed on to co-star in and executive produce Steven Spielberg‘s new film adaptation of the seminal Broadway musical.

Ansel Elgort will star as Tony, while Moreno will play Valentina, a reconceived and expanded version of the character of Doc, the owner of the corner store in which Tony works. It’s a clever way to include Moreno, who caught her big break with 1952’s Singin’ in the Rain and has since become one of only 15 people to achieve EGOT status, having won two Emmys, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony.

Oscar-nominated screenwriter and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner has written the adaptation of the 1957 musical, originally written by Arthur Laurents with music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and concept, direction and choreography by Jerome Robbins. Spielberg, Kevin McCollum and Kristie Macosko Krieger will produce the film musical, which will be released by 20th Century Fox. Production is expected to start in the summer of 2019.
“Never in my wildest dreams did I see myself revisiting this seminal work,” says Moreno. “And to be asked by Steven Spielberg to participate is simply thrilling! Then to work together with the brilliant playwright, Tony Kushner – what a glorious stew! I am tingling!”

“From our earliest discussions, we wanted to include Rita Moreno in our production,” said Spielberg, who is coming off of The Post and Ready Player One. “Her Anita is one of the greatest musical performances ever filmed, and a personal favorite of mine. We created an original role for her, and we feel beyond fortunate that Rita will bring her extraordinary gifts as an actress, as well as her deep understanding of West Side Story to this production as an executive producer.”
http://collider.com/rita-moreno-west-side-story-remake/

shauner111 wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 12:45 am
Michaelf2225 wrote:
That's fair. As for my opinions of him, I get that it's unpopular. I do think he's talented (duh) and I'll always enjoy my favorite films of his, but a lot of his work is too comfortable for my taste.
Steven Spielberg has done some wonderful films, which I've enjoyed a great deal, but for all kinds of reasons, I firmly believe that the 1961 film version of West Side Story should definitely be left alone--and not re-made, at all. The 1961 film version of West Side Story, imho, is in much too special a class by itself to justify a re-make of it, by anybody, including Steven Spielberg.