West Side Story (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 4:55 pm
Ultimately, I don't have to watch it if I don't want to.

£

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 5:46 pm
dream project of his and Tony Kushner writing is making me curious at least

Definitely a more interesting project than Indy 5.
that's for sure

At least it's better than another political borefest. But at the same time, this will probably sweep the Oscars if it's even half decent. It'll probably land on a year where Nolan puts out a masterpiece too. :lol:

shauner111 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 9:58 pm
At least it's better than another political borefest. But at the same time, this will probably sweep the Oscars if it's even half decent. It'll probably land on a year where Nolan puts out a masterpiece too. :lol:
Didn't we all say the same thing about The Post and Darkest Hour?£

Oku
shauner111 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 9:58 pm
So I am guessing from this that you consider Dunkirk to be a masterpiece?

Just asking out of curiosity, because I don't remember seeing your thoughts on it.

Not far off. It's an excellent film. I'll put it over (the solid but overrated) Saving Private Ryan any day. Throws you right into the experience of war, and doesn't let up, doesn't hammer the patriotic bullshit down your throat like most American war films tend to do. No nonsense or cheese. Spielbergs finest hour could be what he shot on that beach, but unfortunately I don't have the nicest words for the rest of SPR.

The structure of Dunkirk is very clever, and it certainly didn't need huge movie stars to ground the human part of that story. They're just ordinary soldiers, there's no distractions from the great Tom Hanks and terrible Matt Damon. No corny monologues about their back story and who they fell in love with, no "we are the greatest heroes this world has to offer" message. No shitty, manipulative score. No generals discussing boring politics. Just full throttle anxiety until the end where you finally breathe & release the tension. Spielberg has no idea how to base something off a real historical event AND put it together in a fresh/interesting manner at the same time. It's "this is what happened. Then this is what happened, then that happened. Done" while tying up a fake bow at the end, which always includes a slice of joy that doesn't ring true.

There's a scene in Darkest Hour on a train that reminds me of Speilberg's bullshit. It's that bullshit that I can't wait to skip once he releases his unnecessary, lazy remake of West Side Story.

I can name 6 or 7 good or decent films from his filmography. What is he up to now, close to 30? Talk about watered down.

if Kushner’s penning the script, i have faith it’ll be more than just a boring, by-the-books remake

but is this even for certain? or is it one of the ten other projects that Spielberg is “working” on?

I'm kinda curious as to how Kushner's sensibilities translate. Then again Ernest Lehman never seemed like the best fit for the original. Or TSOM, but both work.

Oku
shauner111 wrote:
January 22nd, 2018, 5:26 pm
Not far off. It's an excellent film. I'll put it over (the solid but overrated) Saving Private Ryan any day. Throws you right into the experience of war, and doesn't let up, doesn't hammer the patriotic bullshit down your throat like most American war films tend to do. No nonsense or cheese. Spielbergs finest hour could be what he shot on that beach, but unfortunately I don't have the nicest words for the rest of SPR.

The structure of Dunkirk is very clever, and it certainly didn't need huge movie stars to ground the human part of that story. They're just ordinary soldiers, there's no distractions from the great Tom Hanks and terrible Matt Damon. No corny monologues about their back story and who they fell in love with, no "we are the greatest heroes this world has to offer" message. No shitty, manipulative score. No generals discussing boring politics. Just full throttle anxiety until the end where you finally breathe & release the tension. Spielberg has no idea how to base something off a real historical event AND put it together in a fresh/interesting manner at the same time. It's "this is what happened. Then this is what happened, then that happened. Done" while tying up a fake bow at the end, which always includes a slice of joy that doesn't ring true.

There's a scene in Darkest Hour on a train that reminds me of Speilberg's bullshit. It's that bullshit that I can't wait to skip once he releases his unnecessary, lazy remake of West Side Story.

I can name 6 or 7 good or decent films from his filmography. What is he up to now, close to 30? Talk about watered down.
Good post, I agree.

I find it funny, though, that even those who dislike Saving Private Ryan (such as yourself) always say "that beach scene tho" or "it went downhill after the beach scene".

Because I didn't even think the opening beach scene was all that great. :|

I'm realising that my ignore list isn't as judicious as it should be.