West Side Story (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by how this looks. I still think this is one of the most unnecessary sequels since I don't see many people clamoring for a new West Side Story, but I am pretty content with how it looks like. Granted the original is very vibrant and quite similar to what we see in the trailer but I was still afraid this will have Spielberg and Kaminski's predomanantly overly white lit feel of his most recent work (RP1, Bridge of Spies, The Post, Lincoln) which I think started with Minority Report. It still has that in many day scenes outside but thanks to inside and night scenes this seems to be his best looking film since War Horse.

I'm not sold on the accents or Elgort, but this is visually magnificent and surprisingly massive.

I’m loving how Spielberg and Janusz are combining visual elements of classic Hollywood musicals with their contemporary style this decade. Some shots are lovingly lit like backlots or reminiscent of technicolor, while others shots have the palette and urban sprawl of Bridge of Spies or The Post (and the active handheld camera style of both), while and many have Janusz’s classic “bloom.”

I could see this winning best cinematography.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 11:29 am

-Vader
How? The Eternals was shot on location.

best movie of the year

Vader182 wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 11:29 am
I'm not sold on the accents or Elgort, but this is visually magnificent and surprisingly massive.

I’m loving how Spielberg and Janusz are combining visual elements of classic Hollywood musicals with their contemporary style this decade. Some shots are lovingly lit like backlots or reminiscent of technicolor, while others shots have the palette and urban sprawl of Bridge of Spies or The Post (and the active handheld camera style of both), while and many have Janusz’s classic “bloom.”

-Vader
This year no big Hollywood movie looks this sumptuous. Spielberg has outdone himself, and done the impossible, remaking a classic and pulling it off. That Spielberg guy, man. He truly is the popcorn King.
This SHOuLD win Best Cinematography, not even contest.

I haven't been over the moon over his recent output, Bridge of Spies is a masterpiece, but Ready Player One and The Post did nothing for me. This is so welcome, unbridled Hollywood movie making. Too bad about Elgort.

Not even a raved Spielberg movie can get me excited for a musical. Lol

Allstar wrote:
December 11th, 2021, 5:49 am
But it's Bernsteeeein! Give it a go!

Allstar wrote:
December 11th, 2021, 5:49 am
it’s really fuckin good dude