Director's Challenge Round 1 Matchups

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
theweatherman wrote:Yes that's right RIFA.

I am going to call discoveringuy's vote the tiebreaker and give the win to Kubrick. So this round is now closed.
Nah. I don't think that would be fair. More people should be able to cast the tie-breaking votes before the winner of this match-up is determined. I in no way should determine the outcome alone, since that was never mine or anyone else's intention. :)

The thing is we rarely get more votes than the number that was cast in that matchup. I don't expect many others to vote anyway and if they do it could take a while and it might just tie it up again.

Match 25 or The epic battle of the IMDB favorites
Coppola beats Darabont 10-5

Match 26 or the battle of the '90s classics
Scorsese beat Fincher 9-6

Match 27 or the Family friendly vs. the strange and sadistic
Kubrick edges out Spielberg 7-6

Match 28 or the Battle of the fanboy favorites
Tarantino beat Cameron 9-6

That means the semifinals look like this

Match 29 Coppola vs. Scorsese
Match 30 Kubrick vs. Tarantino

Three of those four were ones I was expecting to make it this far.

If the four managers would please send me there picks in a pm we can expedite this final couple rounds and crown our champion.

theweatherman wrote: Match 30 Kubrick vs. Tarantino
this is such a weird match
can these guys even be compared? :eh:

I'm not sure, Tarantino was kind of the surprise for the final four, so it is quite interesting. If the directors can't be compared their films sure can.

theweatherman wrote:I'm not sure, Tarantino was kind of the surprise for the final four, so it is quite interesting. If the directors can't be compared their films sure can.
oh sure, I want to know how this will all end up

just can't put those guys together in my head - puzzle error, puzzle error :lol:

So who does everybody wish had gotten more consideration and recognition in this tournament?

I was personally disappoint with how American the tournament became especially with so many excellent foreign filmmakers.

disappointed in Sergio Leone (I know it was mine but I think he is the best western genre filmmaker...)
disappointed in Ridley Scott
disappointed in people like Almodovar or Amenabar or Del Toro not being in the tournament...

Yeah, if we do this again I would love to do it with less well known directors. The problem is that their movies are difficult to come by so people would have a more difficult time seeing them. Other places that do this post links to the films, but that is sketchy and against forum rules.

But even well known foreign directors like Leone and Kurosawa got booted out of this tournament. Maybe I need to rethink it.

Looks like The Conversation ain't that popular around here :lol: :D