Jojo Rabbit (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Won TIFF's people choice award. Fuck yes.

Allstar wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:47 am
Allstar wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 1:29 am
This is winning best picture.
Nope
Fuck, I sink. :thumbdown:
Maybe I spoke too soon and don’t sink.

Right now on RT it has nearly similar grades as Joker, but way lower on Metacritic.

Allstar wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 3:11 pm
Allstar wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:47 am

Nope
Fuck, I sink. :thumbdown:
Maybe I spoke too soon and don’t sink.
Yeah lol the disparity between audiences and critics on this is fascinating

I love Taika, I'm really excited for this

Master Virgo wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 3:07 pm
Won TIFF's people choice award. Fuck yes.
I voted for Marriage Story myself. Surprised this took it tbh, as I doubt it'll be a heavy hitter this award season.

Really good, a pure candy juggling with different tones.

Great acting, especially from Scarlett, Thomasin and Roman Griffith

Yet, this was much more mainstream than I was expecting. It’s a film I could show to my grandmother and my 10-year old sister.

And Taika was miscast as Hitler, which was anyway a completely unecessary character

I left with a big smile on my face though, a solid 3.5/5

i havent seen the movie yet but this is the most precious video ever omg

I saw this today! Davis and Yates are great! Thomasin McKensie is also fantastic.

I liked the script. It's a tricky concept, but if you stick with the simplicity of it, while lending yourself to the innocence of a child and his loving mother it could work. The execution was colored by too much cynicism from the actors' I thought. Which is where the issue with translating something like this from page to screen comes, because you're asking your cast to make a shift in their psychology regarding the subject that a lot of people cant help but feel uncomfortable about. Add to that, the director is also playing the central part of the trick/gimmick, and has to do so in an unconscious fantastical way, but from the beginning it seems that his inner dialogue and commentary as a director on whether he's not succeeding in getting his actors to that place plays out on the face of his character. By the very end he does get into an interesting well developed physical expression of his role, it would been great if he had been able to link to it from the beginning, and through the whole of the movie.

Late to the game, but I finally saw this, and I thought it was really good.

Took a type of film we've seen done so much in the past (WWII/ Nazi Germany), and put a fresh spin on it.

Great acting from everyone, especially the child actors which make or break a film like this. Dark but not too much that it's heartful moments don't seem jarring. It also maybe one of the funniest movies I've seen all year.