Jojo Rabbit (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Didn't care for this. Passively charming at best, it's a clumsy appropriation of Wes Anderson's style. The palette, the anachronistic rock and roll, deadpan-slapstick performances, the lateral camera moves.

Where Wes' style is one of exactness, Taika's loose, borderline "sketch" approach doesn't mesh at all with his visual or tonal approach.

The performances are nice?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 1:50 pm
Didn't care for this. Passively charming at best, it's a clumsy appropriation of Wes Anderson's style. The palette, the anachronistic rock and roll, deadpan-slapstick performances, the lateral camera moves.

Where Wes' style is one of exactness, Taika's loose, borderline "sketch" approach doesn't mesh at all with his visual or tonal approach.

-Vader
I thought I was alone.

It's not great, some of the comedy isn't as funny as it thinks it is, but it is still a pretty good film with an emotional gut punch here and there and the fact that even a bit of the humor works with this subject matter is a testament to Taika's talent. The shoe scene is one of the most memorable scenes in cinema last year.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I agree with this 100%. But it'll probably win some Oscars but honestly I don't think it should win any.

Nomis wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 7:02 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I agree with this 100%. But it'll probably win some Oscars but honestly I don't think it should win any.
I agree with both of you, although I am even less enthusiastic about it. I pretty much couldn't stand Jojo Rabbit and I thought it was by far the worst nominee this year. A lot of people seem to love it, and it even took home the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay tonight over the likes of Little Women and The Irishman, so go figure.

I adored it. Probably even more so than Boy or Wilderpeople. Taika is a goddamn legend and god bless ScarJo.