Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
At this point I'm 100% convinced that LEXX is a troll account.

Sanchez wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 6:39 pm
At this point I'm 100% convinced that LEXX is a troll account.
Troll? LOL. Sorry I'm not a YES man like you. I'm not afraid to state my opinions. No one asking you to read it.

This is easily the best reviewed Avengers movies in metacritic.

And on RT it's the best reviewed MCU movie together with Black Panther. Both have 97% at the moment. BP is at 8.26/10 avg and Endgame is at 8.2/10.
(Top Critics and Metacritic see BP ahead though.)

I'm really surprised by this reception by critics. Was expecting Infinity War levels at best, considering the length and all.

Looking at imdb (9.3 with 25k votes), audiences are eating it up, too.

Alright, today is the day! Here we GO! Hoping this movie revitalizes my interest in the MCU and actually makes me want to come back to re-visiting some of my favorite moments from the series.

This movie's not going to change anyone's opinion on the MCU. If you think these movies are mediocre garabage, you're going to think this is mediocre garbage. People who love these characters will surely be happy with this!

Batfan's gonna love this

Seen the film yesterday. A few thoughts:
First of all, I've never been fully on the MCU train - I used to actively dislike these films, but by the time Homecoming and Ragnarök came out, I really enjoyed them, and the same goes for Infinity War: it had an epic scope, genuine melancholy, a big, big baddy and I really enjoyed it. It had a punch.

Now, this one, oddly enough, is quite different from Infinity War. In a way it's very interesting to see that they could make Infinity War and Endgame two separate films, with their own, different atmospheres and even villains. The Thanos in Endgame is much different from the one in Infinity War - not only for obvious, chronological reasons.

And the way it starts out on a much smaller scope compared to Endgame is one bold move from the creators, and I admire them for their decision to make it an actual heist film instead of a superhero war epic. The whole time heist concept is, I think, even with the time travelling element included, a surprisingly personal story, it makes the whole film smaller in scale, at least this is how I saw it.

One consequence of this is that I didn't feel real catharsis, to be honest. Infinity War really hyped me up for "the Return of the King of superhero movies", but to me Endgame wasn't anything like that. I'm not saying this is a bad or good thing - once again, it could be one of the boldest decisions from the part of the studio or writers or directors to have a story like this in the final film of your decade-long saga. I really appreciate this.

The final battle had a number of goosebump moments, even for someone like me who is not a big Marvel/MCU/comic book fan. The CGI is amazing (except for young Hank Pym, sorry), it looked mind-blowing, and the pacing, the choreography - it was great. Probably the best action sequence in the whole MCU. 10 years of the Avengers saga really culminated in a satisfying action sequence.

But on a story level, I was left without a catharsis. Someone mentioned before that if you didn't like the MCU, this film is not going to change that. I think this is true - my only problem is that Infinity War almost changed it. It was very close to it, and I thought Endgame will seal the deal. Instead, it didn't really deliver in this sense.

With all that in mind, I think Endgame has a bigger re-watch value for me than Infinity War, because there was a sort of levity in the whole story that makes it a "nicer adventure". Infinity War, as I said earlier, is quite dark and ominous - Endgame, with the time heist plot, is like a very entertaining action flick, and I liked that aspect.

I liked how Stark and Captain America ended up - it was a neat closure for both of those characters. On the other hand, I couldn't care less for Black Widow and Hawkeye, and this has been a constant problem ever since Avengers (2012), but I'm not going to delve into it; I'm sure it's been already discussed several times.

Bottom line: it's a contradictory experience, because to me it didn't deliver on the atmosphere, scope and overall "epicness" (epicity?) of Infinity War, but I think I liked Endgame more because of its fun, easy to re-watch and entertaining aspects. And if the final battle needed 20-something films and 10 years to really work, then it was worth it.

There was a fucking spoiler on my YouTube homepage why does YT work like that?!

m4st4 wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 10:16 am
There was a fucking spoiler on my YouTube homepage why does YT work like that?!
I woke up monday morning, opened youtube, and first video was making of GoT episode 2; I could not go on twitter or youtube before watching the episode. Also, before videos start, as ads, I have Endgame TV spots, which I have been trying to avoid as much as possible. And then Youtube also showed as recommanded videos TV spots shared by anonym accounts with spoilers in the name of the video... Youtube really need to step up.

I saw one thing and it’s one of many things that will happen but it’s still terrible and I hate it because it’s been implanted in my head now and I can’t get rid of it. Guess it’s good the movie runs for almost three hours and I’ll get to experience all of it, properly and in order, quite soon. Three hours to go!