The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DHOPW42 wrote:
February 14th, 2022, 11:34 am
Master Virgo wrote:
February 14th, 2022, 10:39 am
Has there ever been any popular franchise or series completely dominated by white male characters for years that hasn't had a toxic alt right fanbase though?

Tolkien was a conservative catholic who supported the mass murderous fascist in Franco, during the Spanish civil war. The man who contributed to holocaust and someone whom the far right idolizes these days.

He wrote novels about the European looking people of west fighting the evil demons rising from the east (southeast to be specific) allied with brown skinned people with clearly Asian culture.

He literally pointed out in an interview that his gold loving earth dwelling race of dwarves are based on Jews. If you look at the language he created for them, it only becomes more apparent.

Now Tolkien might have done a lot of good on this earth that I know nothing about. Far more than I've ever done in my life. This is not about judging him as a person, but his legacy. You leave an image like that behind, there is nothing shocking about the kind of terrible people you might attract towards your work.
It's hard for me to see why this isn't a judgment of his person, but I guess this isn't the point. I don't know much about Tolkien's life and career, but as I am - just now - trying to find the source of the sentiments implied by you, it becomes somewhat clear to me that these points are valid, and have been made by scholars, but reality might be a bit more complex than that, and there is an ongoing discussion with regards to the perceived racism of Tolkien's universe and whatnot. And the discussion goes along the lines of whether the portrayal of certain fictional races and their geographical relations is something that is based in millenia-old mythological writings, or is it 100% the work of an author living in an era of Western civilazition that was much more oblivious to the issues of racism than it is today.

And I have no true answer - nor do the scholars, I presume, or anyone other than Tolkien -, but I'm sure the answer is a combination of these two (and maybe even more) factors. The same goes for the Spanish Civil War issue, where I personally wouldn't judge a person born 130 years ago for his perception of then-actual global politics of 90 years ago. This is just me, I'm not saying it's wrong to do this, but I have a feeling that it's definitely not a simple issue of saying "he was a supporter of a fascist regime", as this implies that he himself was a supporter of fascism. Which is... quite a stretch, I guess.

What I just wanted to say is that all these points made by you are valid, but doesn't the resolution of this problem lie in our capability as modern "thinkers" to be able to look at these issues with a more analytical view, rejecting singular, absolute truths? Because the very thing these toxic and harmful masses (i.e. Tolkien and SW fanbase) are doing is perceiving the world as a black-and-white place where good is literally fighting evil. And - this is not my judgment of your person, rather an honest question - aren't you doing the same thing by bringing up all these valid points the way you did?

It probably hurts no one here, as this is a random forum on an unrelated fan site, but I still don't feel that discussing the issues of the legacy of a 20th century writer the way you just did contributes to any sort of meaningful solution. If anything, I feel that it contributes to the growing and total misunderstanding of creative arts by young, toxic online audiences and self-proclaimed fans. To put it short, I have a feeling that if you say Tolkien was supporting a fascist regime and his universe is racist (without providing more acamedic context), the toxic fanbase will actually believe it and will have no problem with this statement. So you think you are shining new light on the troubled personality of a revered artist for these people, but they - deep down - are completely aware of this (misinterpreted, imho) reality. Instead, we should try to help them understand why and in what sense is it a misinterpretation of Tolkien's work. But first, you yourself need to look at these issues the same way, I think.

Sorry for the long post, I am just trying to make sense of the new terror of online existence in the 2020s. I watched the trailer, liked it, saw the horrifying toxic reactions to it, and it feels like one side wants me to hate the new TV show, and the other side wants me to hate Tolkien. This is just my perception of this issue on an emotional level, obviously no one wants me to hate Tolkien. But this is how it feels, and I am trying to make sense of it, and trying to see how we can at least try to mediate between these two groups of people, to maybe bring them a bit closer to each other.
I'd go farther than Virgo and say that Fantasy as a genre is inherently racist bullshit. Tolkien was a big simp for Richard Wagner, specifically Der Ring des Nibelungen, which lays the template and tropes, archetypes for Tolkien's Middle earth...and in tow all of Fantasy (the genre as we know it: elves, dwarfs, orcs and shit). Wagner's, as has been academically maintained for a long time, based the gold-loving dwarfs on jews, and wrote extensively on race science and the inferiority of the Jewish peoples.

Now, do I still listen to Wagner, yes, and did I love Tolkien when I was a teenager absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that Fantasy is dumb and racist and for dumb dumb children. Look at all those people who love Harry Potter, truly the most pathetic fandom. :twothumbsup:

Wow, this Tolkien fella sounds like a real jerk! He reminds me of that one guy…

While I wasn't impressed by that trailer, I am going to say that the outrage seems mainly performative. That's also to be expected from an increasingly vocal far-right audience because those nihilistic authoritarians will claim ANY cultural work for themselves, whether the work actually aligns with them politically or not. They are throwing temper tantrums but it's not actually about LOTR for them. It's about finding an opportunity to push their awful ideas into a mainstream discourse, which the release of a trailer for an adaptation of a beloved fantasy world is to them. These are the same guys who threw hissy fits over the 2018 She-Ra reboot and I found them pathetic then and they are pathetic now too. They are just here to poison the discourse and make it about something else whilst pretending that they are just trying to defend the work of a guy whose work should ideally be open to anyone. They just want to constantly talk about how awful diversity is for example and sadly those types of guys find a home in medieval fantasy because the Ur-text of most modern fantasy is the Lord of the Rings but that author and that work had a lot of questionable attitudes about a bunch of things so it's not like I'm even surprised by any of this.

ChristNolan wrote:
February 14th, 2022, 5:18 pm
Wow, this Tolkien fella sounds like a real jerk! He reminds me of that one guy…
Is this a Norm Macdonald reference? :D

Ace

I am not sure how to feel about this yet. It's good that someone else tries to adapt stories set in this world but some of the dialogue seems a bit weak and the over-reliance on CG makes things look too unreal, which is distracting to say the least.The Peter Jackson LOTR films used a lot of practical effects and miniatures mixed with CG and often it was done so well that the CG was not even noticeable. I'm sad to see that this looks overall just like any other generic high fantasy story.

Maybe we just need to collectively move on from what artists have determined is Tolkien's aesthetic altogether. Also, maybe studios should go back to working on actual sets without putting green screens everywhere.
Last edited by Batfan175 on July 17th, 2022, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

This feels like Peter Jackson's LOTR but with the aesthetic of The Hobbit.
Still, I have hope it can be good.

Meh, I don't get a sense of the story yet and the CG makes things look less immersive than they could be. House of the Dragon looks better and seems to have better action as well. Plus, the LOTR show aesthetic borrows heavily from the Jackson films instead of creating its own thing, which I dislike.