The Ides of March (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Can't wait for Gosling. Deserves an oscar nom for this year, whether it's this or Drive.

Forum Pro
Law
christophmac wrote:Can't wait for Gosling. Deserves an oscar nom for this year, whether it's this or Drive.
It'll be for this movie, Drive may get nominated for a few oscars but it won't be for any of the acting. I'm in no way saying the acting was bad in Drive but The Ides of March will really show Gosling's range.

Blu Ray January 17th

Law_of_4 wrote:
christophmac wrote:Can't wait for Gosling. Deserves an oscar nom for this year, whether it's this or Drive.
It'll be for this movie, Drive may get nominated for a few oscars but it won't be for any of the acting. I'm in no way saying the acting was bad in Drive but The Ides of March will really show Gosling's range.
Other than Albert Brooks for Best Supporting Actor I have a hard time thinking of what Drive could get. It was interesting how at one point I thought Ides of March would be a major player in the awards season, but now it seems like it'll get nothing.

George wrote:
Law_of_4 wrote: It'll be for this movie, Drive may get nominated for a few oscars but it won't be for any of the acting. I'm in no way saying the acting was bad in Drive but The Ides of March will really show Gosling's range.
Other than Albert Brooks for Best Supporting Actor I have a hard time thinking of what Drive could get. It was interesting how at one point I thought Ides of March would be a major player in the awards season, but now it seems like it'll get nothing.
I'd say Brooks as Bernie Rose is the most likely to get a nomination, but not the strongest performance in the film.

i wasnt too impressed with Albert Brooks....the film may get some technical awards. It'd be cool if Refn got in for Best director but that category is too closely linked to Best Film

mchekhov wrote:i wasnt too impressed with Albert Brooks....the film may get some technical awards. It'd be cool if Refn got in for Best director but that category is too closely linked to Best Film

Completely agree. I have no idea what people see in Albert Brooks in Drive for an Oscar nod.

CaliKid329 wrote:
mchekhov wrote:i wasnt too impressed with Albert Brooks....the film may get some technical awards. It'd be cool if Refn got in for Best director but that category is too closely linked to Best Film

Completely agree. I have no idea what people see in Albert Brooks in Drive for an Oscar nod.

I've already explained it. Critics don't understand good acting. They confuse the quality of a film for the quality of performances, hence why George clooney gets nominated. In this case, just because Albert Brooks is playing a villain, they are assuming it's a good performance because the Academy loves villains, and all villains are brilliantly portrayed. :roll:

mchekhov wrote:I've already explained it. Critics don't understand good acting. They confuse the quality of a film for the quality of performances, hence why George clooney gets nominated. In this case, just because Albert Brooks is playing a villain, they are assuming it's a good performance because the Academy loves villains, and all villains are brilliantly portrayed. :roll:
I guess you're the only genius in the world that understands good acting. :roll:

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
mchekhov wrote:I've already explained it. Critics don't understand good acting. They confuse the quality of a film for the quality of performances, hence why George clooney gets nominated. In this case, just because Albert Brooks is playing a villain, they are assuming it's a good performance because the Academy loves villains, and all villains are brilliantly portrayed. :roll:
I guess you're the only genius in the world that understands good acting. :roll:

the gift and the curse