The Ides of March (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
RIFA wrote:
allstarr55js wrote:Featurette.... what I do not understand is why Clooney insists on lying by saying every actor was their first choice when it was common knowledge DiCaprio was originally going to play the lead.
lol man. you have to praise leo every time.

Clooney is not lying. DiCaprio was executive producer on this and WANTED to play the part. Both Clooney and DiCaprio decided that it's better not to because of J. Edgar so they started to cast for the role. FIRST CHOICE was Ryan Gosling. :facepalm:
DiCaprio was Clooney's first choice... then he could not do it because of scheduling conflicts with J.Edgar. Get your facts straight boy.

allstarr55js wrote:
RIFA wrote:

Clooney is not lying. DiCaprio was executive producer on this and WANTED to play the part. Both Clooney and DiCaprio decided that it's better not to because of J. Edgar so they started to cast for the role. FIRST CHOICE was Ryan Gosling. :facepalm:
DiCaprio was Clooney's first choice... then he could not do it because of scheduling conflicts with J.Edgar. Get your facts straight boy.
Leonardo DiCaprio, who is executive producing the film, originally INTENDED to play the role, but Clooney ended up going with Gosling since DiCaprio had a commitment to playing the lead in Clint Eastwood's film, "J. Edgar".
I got them facts. You got them wet dreams.

allstarr55js wrote:
RIFA wrote:

True story. But doesn't matter, Ryan was great choice anyway, perfect momentum after 'Drive', he's picking up speed like Flash!

I remembe everyone wanted pine to play the role cause he did the play but gosling was the first choice

nolanberg wrote:I remembe everyone wanted pine to play the role cause he did the play but gosling was the first choice
Sup talli

This is going to be great. I hope everyone that saw Drive gets an opportunity to watch this as well. Get a glimpse of Gosling's scary versatility. One of the best actors in the world today. Fassbender is the only one I would put ahead of him.

Actors who become directors tend to focus on performance at the expense of everything else. Clooney certainly brings out the best in his actors, but his driving trait as a filmmaker is that he knows what plays — he has an uncanny sense of how to uncork a scene and let it bubble and flow.

The movie is a grippingly dark and cynical drama of insider politics, set during the days leading up to an Ohio Democratic presidential primary. Ryan Gosling, proving that he can flirt with sleaze and still make you like him, stars as Stephen Meyers, the idealistic but also shrewdly opportunistic press secretary to Gov. Mike Morris (played by Clooney), a soulful and articulate Obama-in-2008-esque candidate who is promising a new kind of politics.

…Early on, there’s a moment that really makes you take notice: Marisa Tomei, as a New York Times reporter, tells Stephen and the governor’s campaign manager (a brilliantly addled Philip Seymour Hoffman) that there’s no way candidate Morris, with his hope-and-change rhetoric, could turn out to be anything but a disappointment. Hmmmm, we wonder…is this going to be the liberal Clooney’s comment on the disenchantment so many Obama supporters feel about the president they once thought of as a savior? Well, sort of. Except that since The Ides of March is about a single primary fight, the movie, while stuffed with political talk-show gabble, isn’t really about policy. It’s about backstabbing, media manipulation, and what campaign managers do when they’re not hatching plans in the war room.

The Ides of March serves up everything we’ve come to know about the dirty business of how campaigns are really run in this country. That may sound like boilerplate cynicism, but what’s new is that Clooney exposes how in our era the thorny process of politics has become the content, blotting out the meaning of policy the way an eclipse blots out the sun. The movie suggests that that’s what occurred in the Obama administration. But it also says a spirit of venomous aggression has entered our politics, one that (the film implies) Obama would do well to embrace more than he has. The Ides of March isn’t profound, but it sure is provocative. It’s a fable of moral urgency, a savvy lament, and a thriller of ideas that goes like a shot. A–

Rukia wrote:This is going to be great. I hope everyone that saw Drive gets an opportunity to watch this as well. Get a glimpse of Gosling's scary versatility. One of the best actors in the world today. Fassbender is the only one I would put ahead of him.
Gosling was great in Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson. I'd have to put him in front of Fass.

I was worried about the reviews on this, and the trailer didn't strike me at all, but I think I very well might go see this when it comes out :thumbup: