Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
d4mi4n wrote:
MikaHaeli8 wrote:
Yeah. No problem, it was good to debate it with someone. :thumbup:
:lol: I love Bones. :thumbup:
Ah yes, I get the eye-roll a lot. :P

Karl Urban is superb. My favourite of the rebooted cast. :lol:

MikaHaeli8 wrote:
d4mi4n wrote:
:lol: I love Bones. :thumbup:
Ah yes, I get the eye-roll a lot. :P

Karl Urban is superb. My favourite of the rebooted cast. :lol:
I just love how deeply humane he is, probably most of them all. He's all impulse, drive, instant thinking... Love him!

And the stuff I managed to caught second time round, like when...
Alice Eve's character says ''don't touch anything else'' and his response is ''the thought never crossed my mind'' :roll: :lol:

Can't wait to see it tonight.

Heading to New York City in a few minutes to see this in real IMAX.

bootsy wrote:
Micool wrote:
more than 3 mins but def underused
Micool you're on here too. I'm a member of Kanyetothe also. :lol: Great minds think alike I guess.
me and bLaze but I think he said fuck nolanfans though :hah:

This is long. I tried making it shorter but it didn't happen. Fucking spoiler tags make my review look a LOT longer than it actually is, I promise. They also make my review ugly, but it's a necessary evil I guess.

Star Trek Into Darkness:

Like many are, I'm beginning this review briefly summarizing my history with the franchise. I've always found myself more at home on Tatooine than Vulcan, and consequently, always found Star Trek too rigid and stuffy despite its status as allegory-- something ordinarily appealing to me. Prior to my viewing Wednesday night, I had only seen the 2009 feature as well as a random assortment of episodes from the different iterations on television. I've now seen the the inspirations for Into Darkness, and it becomes easier to understand why fans precious with the materiel would take issue. When materiel from prior incarnations of characters or scenarios are employed, it's for reasons free from the original versions, which invites accusations of misunderstanding the importance of these elements to begin with. By drawing on the scenes the filmmakers have, it doesn't just continue this universe's relationship with that of the prior, it fits cohesively into bringing key characters and themes full circle. The fans I'm arguing against will attack it as oversimplification and adolescent. I call it brave and slick, and those not engulfed in the Trek-verse are sure to love it. My few hundred seat theater did.

Contrary to the thinking of a pool of detractors, both character development and allegory were a never forgotten focus. The two principle leads slowly learn to exchange their best attributes, as Kirk needs to become more like Spock and thus Spock more like Kirk. The interplay between them isn't just hilarious, especially when Zoe Saldana's involved, it also becomes an anchor for many of the film's dramatic moments. They face decisions with sometimes galactic repercussions, and often, their chosen decisions were a direct byproduct their kinship with each other. This gives a kinetic quality to simple dialogue scenes, and elevates the weight of the stunning action sequences in turn. Kirk's leap without looking persona overshadows the logic he hopes to exhibit,
and that this mentality inevitably leads to his death brings full circle the arcs begun in the opening sequence: Kirk's need for maturation and Spock's vulnerability and attachment to his friends. Some say the emotion of this sequence wasn't earned, but when so much time in action and out were devoted to this climax, I'm compelled to disagree.
Additionally, much has already been said of the not-so-subtle political allegory, but, for me, it made Into Darkness feel closer to Star Trek than the first film.
Drone warfare, officially unsanctioned invasions to enemy territories on the edge of war, the bastardization of man into weapon, and the 'blow back' from that decision in a multitude of forms including domestic terrorism, are just a few of the themes developed throughout the film.
Hell, if you really want to dive into it, the opening sequence can be seen as a justification of interventionist policy to states unable to help themselves.

I do have a serious criticism related to the characters, and it stems from the villain's motivations. Honey Cumberbuns is delightful as a villain, but
his character runs out of motivation by the climactic set piece. He dramatically grabs a coat and briskly walks away. This is less than compelling drama, and unless I missed some dialogue in the high-emotion confusion of the final run of the film, Khan was just trying to get away, which is a lousy motivation for any villain to have going into the climax.
Still, the stakes are massive in the final set piece and it's visually astonishing, so it works despite this big flaw.

Mostly absent so far in this review is mention of the action sequences. This is because lots of films have them, and not many films succesfully pull off real characters, real emotion, real themes and still function as a totally bonkers roller coster ride, which this is. There is no exposition heavy clickity clack build up the good stuff: this ride starts already at the top of the highest drop of the theme park, and barely lets you catch your breath before the credits roll. I'm not sure I could have asked for more and not risk being accused of greedy, making Star Trek Into Darkness my favorite film of the year so far, and it's set a high bar to beat as the best blockbuster for all of 2013.

-Vader

Great review as always, Vader. Even if I disagree with your opinion (which I hopefully won't for this film), you're so passionate about film that it makes it hard not to appreciate it.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

Vader182 wrote:This is long. I tried making it shorter but it didn't happen. Fucking spoiler tags make my review look a LOT longer than it actually is, I promise. They also make my review ugly, but it's a necessary evil I guess.

Star Trek Into Darkness:

Like many are, I'm beginning this review briefly summarizing my history with the franchise. I've always found myself more at home on Tatooine than Vulcan, and consequently, always found Star Trek too rigid and stuffy despite its status as allegory-- something ordinarily appealing to me. Prior to my viewing Wednesday night, I had only seen the 2009 feature as well as a random assortment of episodes from the different iterations on television. I've now seen the the inspirations for Into Darkness, and it becomes easier to understand why fans precious with the materiel would take issue. When materiel from prior incarnations of characters or scenarios are employed, it's for reasons free from the original versions, which invites accusations of misunderstanding the importance of these elements to begin with. By drawing on the scenes the filmmakers have, it doesn't just continue this universe's relationship with that of the prior, it fits cohesively into bringing key characters and themes full circle. The fans I'm arguing against will attack it as oversimplification and adolescent. I call it brave and slick, and those not engulfed in the Trek-verse are sure to love it. My few hundred seat theater did.

Contrary to the thinking of a pool of detractors, both character development and allegory were a never forgotten focus. The two principle leads slowly learn to exchange their best attributes, as Kirk needs to become more like Spock and thus Spock more like Kirk. The interplay between them isn't just hilarious, especially when Zoe Saldana's involved, it also becomes an anchor for many of the film's dramatic moments. They face decisions with sometimes galactic repercussions, and often, their chosen decisions were a direct byproduct their kinship with each other. This gives a kinetic quality to simple dialogue scenes, and elevates the weight of the stunning action sequences in turn. Kirk's leap without looking persona overshadows the logic he hopes to exhibit,
and that this mentality inevitably leads to his death brings full circle the arcs begun in the opening sequence: Kirk's need for maturation and Spock's vulnerability and attachment to his friends. Some say the emotion of this sequence wasn't earned, but when so much time in action and out were devoted to this climax, I'm compelled to disagree.
Additionally, much has already been said of the not-so-subtle political allegory, but, for me, it made Into Darkness feel closer to Star Trek than the first film.
Drone warfare, officially unsanctioned invasions to enemy territories on the edge of war, the bastardization of man into weapon, and the 'blow back' from that decision in a multitude of forms including domestic terrorism, are just a few of the themes developed throughout the film.
Hell, if you really want to dive into it, the opening sequence can be seen as a justification of interventionist policy to states unable to help themselves.

I do have a serious criticism related to the characters, and it stems from the villain's motivations. Honey Cumberbuns is delightful as a villain, but
his character runs out of motivation by the climactic set piece. He dramatically grabs a coat and briskly walks away. This is less than compelling drama, and unless I missed some dialogue in the high-emotion confusion of the final run of the film, Khan was just trying to get away, which is a lousy motivation for any villain to have going into the climax.
Still, the stakes are massive in the final set piece and it's visually astonishing, so it works despite this big flaw.

Mostly absent so far in this review is mention of the action sequences. This is because lots of films have them, and not many films succesfully pull off real characters, real emotion, real themes and still function as a totally bonkers roller coster ride, which this is. There is no exposition heavy clickity clack build up the good stuff: this ride starts already at the top of the highest drop of the theme park, and barely lets you catch your breath before the credits roll. I'm not sure I could have asked for more and not risk being accused of greedy, making Star Trek Into Darkness my favorite film of the year so far, and it's set a high bar to beat as the best blockbuster for all of 2013.

-Vader
I love you man.

Also about
Khan
I know what you mean.. by the end he is just running away, but what do all terrorist do after an attack. They have turned their back on society and in the end they will have no other option but to run. I understand your point. It's not all that dramatic.. but the man just crashed a huge fucking ship onto a city. Def the biggest terror attack in earth's history. Look no futher then what happened in Boston to see what people will do after they commit an act of terror. They run.
Say Girl

Peace wrote:
I love you man.
Also about Khan
<-- real spoiler!
I know what you mean.. by the end he is just running away, but what do all terrorist do after an attack. They have turned their back on society and in the end they will have no other option but to run. I understand your point. It's not all that dramatic.. but the man just crashed a huge fucking ship onto a city. Def the biggest terror attack in earth's history. Look no futher then what happened in Boston to see what people will do after they commit an act of terror. They run.
Dude spoiler tag :facepalm:

You just spoiled it for me :neutral: :cry: :thumbdown:
Why you lurking my page brah?

Dodd wrote:
Peace wrote:
I love you man.
Also about Khan
<-- real spoiler!
Dude spoiler tag :facepalm:

You just spoiled it for me :neutral: :cry: :thumbdown:
Grow a pair of balls! lol

Really though my bad. It's like I forget some people are still in the dark. I got onto Bro for the same shit the other day :facepalm:

Ryan just gave me some good advice on spoiler tags. Won't happen again :goNF:
Say Girl