The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
aaron wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:I'm not sure any film loving individual could say a single kind word towards The Hobbit in relation to its achievement as a piece of filmmaking. It's a splendid time at the movies, but that's nothing to elevate it to some kind of pedestal.
I won't bother explaining how the Lord of the Rings was one of the largest filmmaking achievements of all time, because as snobbish as you are, you'd simply disregard it. The Hobbit trilogy has already achieved several things: it's one of the largest filmmaking projects ever created, definitely one of the largest crews in motion picture history. It's going to contribute greatly to 3D technology, not to mention revolutionize a film industry by bringing higher frame rates into the picture (literally.) The Hobbit is the first film to open in 7 formats. And that's all purely technical. If this gets the same reception as LOTR did, we could be looking at (for the first time in history) three $1-billion consecutive films (the first ever for a trilogy), we could be looking at a load more Oscars (I doubt it, but also maybe a Best Picture win for a fantasy film for the first time since LOTR, and one of the only times in film history.) I'm probably overestimating the film's power, but regardless, it's a huge project undertaken and it's going to have huge results and, most probably, achieve quite a bit. Not to mention the fact that Jackson and co. have made Middle-Earth into a $1-billion+ brand, spit out a string of popular actors who have later gone on to gain worldwide fame, and also saved and revitalized the tourism industry in New Zealand.

Dude, he's just mocking this:
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... me#p547401

Breathe.

There is no need for this to be 3 movies.

Lord of the Rings- 3 books. 3 movies. Perfect.

The Hobbit- 1 book. 3 movies. Uh, what?

The Hobbit is a 300 page book which can easily be made into a 3 hour film, if not shorter than that. But then again, they are adding characters from LOTR that weren't even in The Hobbit just for even more mass fan appeal. PJ must really want the dough.
We really should stop this fighting, otherwise we'll miss the fireworks!

GoldHeartedSociopath wrote:There is no need for this to be 3 movies.

The Hobbit is a 300 page book which can easily be made into a 3 hour film, if not shorter than that. But then again, they are adding characters from LOTR that weren't even in The Hobbit just for even more mass fan appeal. PJ must really want the dough.
$$$
Brave New World

It's called "milking".

spartanx54 wrote:

It's called "milking".
I hope you're wrong and Jackson doesn't sacrifice quality to simply make more movies, but, sadly, I've got the feeling this will be the case, at least to a degree.

They really need to make a really good 'filler' story to prevent the pacing or interest to be lost.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

I have a feeling that Jackson shot a ton of footage and couldn't condense it enough to fit 2 films.

EctoCooler31 wrote:I have a feeling that Jackson shot a ton of footage and couldn't condense it enough to fit 2 films.
Yeah, that's it.
Brave New World

that could mean either bad pacing or great character development

EctoCooler31 wrote:I have a feeling that Jackson shot a ton of footage and couldn't condense it enough to fit 2 films.
I've heard the production shot nearly 5 terebytes of information a day. Considering the footage is 4K at 48fps and 3D, I doubt it's an overwhelming about of actual footage, but still, that's a remarkable number.

prince0gotham wrote:that could mean either bad pacing or great character development
Or both.