The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
Mason01 wrote:
+1

As much as I would.. Nolan's reluctance to do things like this.. it really just adds and air of mystery and intrigue to the whole production.
I don't need the bloody mystery, insight like this is great. Though Darren says studios aren't willing to pay for commentaries as much anymore, I can't stand it when Directors don't do it. Bloody ridiculous.

never got into lord of the rings...dont get the hype about them...dont get the hype about this

but then again magic and elves were never really my thing

talli wrote:never got into lord of the rings...dont get the hype about them...dont get the hype about this
+1

Here is an interesting video.

These updates are awesome! I'm starting to get more excited for these films. But, I still have my reservations about it with the whole 48 fps thing...

Crazy Eight wrote:These updates are awesome! I'm starting to get more excited for these films. But, I still have my reservations about it with the whole 48 fps thing...
Yeah yeah :roll:

You know, Avatar and Lord of the Rings are some of the best looking films out there. Don't you think they would have some discretion if it looked ...bad?

Vader182 wrote:
Crazy Eight wrote:These updates are awesome! I'm starting to get more excited for these films. But, I still have my reservations about it with the whole 48 fps thing...

You know, Avatar and Lord of the Rings are some of the best looking films out there. Don't you think they would have some discretion if it looked ...bad?
Avatar is lit in a computer and LOTR is lit well with amazing production design to back it up. What does any of that have to do with two hardcore techies, who haven't created an exciting original story in ages, wanting to use higher frame rates? Seriously dude. You don't shoot, so you don't know. End of it really. I'm not pulling my stance out of a hat, I'm not a "film purist" I don't even like shooting film. Again, we'll see how it works for 3D, but I don't want in my 2D content.

RomanM wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

Avatar is lit in a computer and LOTR is lit well with amazing production design to back it up. What does any of that have to do with two hardcore techies, who haven't created an exciting original story in ages, wanting to use higher frame rates? Seriously dude. You don't shoot, so you don't know. End of it really. I'm not pulling my stance out of a hat, I'm not a "film purist" I don't even like shooting film. Again, we'll see how it works for 3D, but I don't want in my 2D content.
You're right, I don't shoot. But they do, and they've both made fantastic looking films, storytelling and plot originality (though, Peter Jackson's only done adaptations since his Dead Alive days?) hasn't a thing to do with this discussion. They both think this shooting this way would look amazing, and given their last several films looking amazing (with the exception of Lovely Bones and sections of King Kong), I'd bank on them knowing what looks good or not.

Really though, I have no idea what was up with Lovely Bones.

Vader182 wrote:
You're right, I don't shoot. But they do, and they've both made fantastic looking films, storytelling and plot originality (though, Peter Jackson's only done adaptations since his Dead Alive days?) hasn't a thing to do with this discussion. They both think this shooting this way would look amazing, and given their last several films looking amazing (with the exception of Lovely Bones and sections of King Kong), I'd bank on them knowing what looks good or not.

Really though, I have no idea what was up with Lovely Bones.
Fucking yeah it's got something to do with this. These two, mainly Cameron, are off running around looking for the next technical innovation in all the wrong areas. All these things have existed for years and Cameron is simply rebranding them and labeling them the future. Fuck off. The man needs to stop looking for things to cover up this cliche ridden nonsense he manages to sell to 20th Century Fox. You don't see Chris Nolan running around every two seconds marketing a new piece of technology. He's too busy writing a script worth a damn.

Secondly, film standards today weren't set by gun ho Directors, they were set by the creators of this medium which were cinematographers and photographers.I trust the great DPs of Hollywood more than Cameron, who at this point is a Technology Suit disguised as a filmmaker.

My final point has to do with something you're trying to blow off. You don't shoot, I do. I find it offensive when you come in and try to negate my point of view by throwing Cameron and Peter Jackson (two non shooters BTW) work back catalog at me. I know what 48fps looks like, I've shot it on an original RED One body. I know what 60, 96, 120, and 500 look like. I've shot them all. I'm not saying this to belittle you, but to show you that am not pulling my ideals out of some bullshit film snob background. It simply doesn't look very good. If YouTube was capable of playing back 60fps, I'd go shoot something and upload it for you to see. I don't like the look, neither do a lot of my more distinguished colleagues. We think this is the wrong direction to go in and I personally think IMAX and future Digital IMAX and RED Dragon systems will do far more for audiences than higher frame rates will.

You're missing my point, which is rather simple. Both of them, and I realize they aren't DP's, know what looks good on camera. So I trust them when they say it looks fantastic. I know you adamently disagree, but I loved the 3D in Avatar, and found it to be an all around amazing experience. One of my best experiences in a movie theater.

I respect your opinion, but I respect one of my favorite filmmakers more. If this discussion strictly surrounded James Cameron, I'd see your point, but Peter Jackson is also in this discussion, who, aside of some missteps, is a master storyteller and turned three entirely 'unfilmable' novels into three masterpieces. I know how you feel about Two Towers, but I certainly don't, nor do many, many others.

You hate 3D, I love it. James Cameron and Peter Jackson both love it, and they say this is fantastic with it, thus, I trust them.