The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
radewart wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
radewart wrote:If you haven't seen the Swedish version, it's a fine movie. But like others said, it adds nothing on the original.
but, like

it's not supposed to
Then, like others have said, it was just made for lazy Americans that can't bother to read subtitles.
A waste of Fincher's talent.
not sure how to reply to this

You just fucking ignore it lol

Peace wrote:You just fucking ignore it lol
yeah but I like to express my indifference sometimes

I was pretty pessimistic about Fincher and Zaillian's version prior to seeing it but immediately after I admitted that it was truly better both writing and directing wise to the Swedish version, and I believe the gap was large enough to justify the production. Although it had one element considerably inferior compared to the one in the first adaptation. Rapace was just too good to be topped or maybe Mara wasn't the one to do it.£

It's better directed, better acted (Especially Blomkvist) and the twist at the end is simpler but also far more effective IMO

Except the only reason anyone wanted to even make an English language adaptation was because of the impact of the Swedish version.

Outside of Zodiac, Seven and Panic Room, Fincher's films often keep me at a distance. This one I actually bought the soundtrack for and it's nice but that's the main thing that stands out most to me about his film. Rapace just gives too iconic a performance in the Swedish version and that alone is enough to make me go for that version because no performance in the Fincher film is as interesting or engaging imo. I also remember not being wowed by Daniel Craig as an actor generally back when I saw this and this film did not help to change my opinion. Rooney Mara is good here but the character just does not come to life in the same way that she does in the Swedish version and that comes down to the writing in part as well. The plots are generally the same except for the ending but a) I have not read the book and hence do not care whether or not this one is closer to the source material and b) I care more about the story when I'm invested in the characters and that's where the Swedish original has a distinct advantage for me personally because it managed to make me care more.

Yeah, Fincher has a cool aesthetic, yeah the opening is slick and stylish, yeah the soundtrack is awesome on some occasions but it's all artifice in service of what I considered to be a pretty average cinematic experience overall because I do not think the Fincher version had anything to say that the Swedish original hadn't already managed to convey with its story. To me, it was a very stylish but ultimately just decent movie but then I don't claim to speak for everyone.