The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
theseeker9175 wrote:
Durden wrote:
theseeker9175 wrote:
no u.

I liked the movie a lot but I think that the first half of Zodiac and The Social Network are better than TGWTDT. Just my opinion. :geek:

Thoughts on Rooney Mara's eternal-awkwardness face?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vsYEkRtzyk
I no longer have issue with your statements because of this gif. :geek:

David Fincher Apparently Thinks 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' Could Get Made
"I think because [Sony] already has spent millions of dollars on the rights and the script so it will result in something," he told Swedish site Afton Bladet (via Film Divider who provided the translation). "The script that we now have a huge potential, I can reveal as much as it is extremely different from the book."
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... e-20140911

This film does not do enough different from the original to justify its existence. Merely pandering to people too lazy to read subtitles does not count either.

Batfan175 wrote:This film does not do enough different from the original to justify its existence. Merely pandering to people too lazy to read subtitles does not count either.

Are you one of those casuals who watch movies on laptop or something?

m4st4 wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:This film does not do enough different from the original to justify its existence. Merely pandering to people too lazy to read subtitles does not count either.

Are you one of those casuals who watch movies on laptop or something?
I watched this film when it came out in the cinema and I found it underwhelming even then. The only thing it does different is the very beginning and the very end (the latter does not work to its advantage, with a whole lot of copy-pasting in between). It was trying to coast on the original's popularity so I'd have to say: don't remake a popular foreign film if you can't contribute anything significant to the story and in this case Fincher couldn't, which is a shame because I really like Se7en and Zodiac (hated the chauvinism of Fight Club though and the Social Network was sort of bland).

You still haven't answered my question. I remember reading - no - skimming through comments about laziness and subtitles on IMDb in 2011, so imagine my surprise when someone brought it up here on NF minutes ago.

m4st4 wrote:You still haven't answered my question. I remember reading - no - skimming through comments about laziness and subtitles on IMDb in 2011, so imagine my surprise when someone brought it up here on NF minutes ago.
I don't live in the US so I may not be in the same position as someone who expects all films to be in English but where I live we get foreign films in their original language and it's rather used as an opportunity to learn something about different cultures whilst experiencing the differences in mood that a different language can create. While we get US and UK films in English we have no problem watching them in English with subtitles. I think it's just that people are starting to get sick of American film companies taking a great foreign film and making a mainstream American film under the pretext that apparently the American filmgoer dislikes subtitles and hence would not be interested in watching the original. if that is the case then that's a terrible state of affairs. If it isn't, then the BS excuse to remake the film in English falls flat and is just there to mask the fact that the company recognized the original's success and tried to cash in on it, for which I have no patience or understanding. Cultural exchange, what's that?

This film is not a remake, it's an adaptation.

The best thing about this movie is the extras in the blu ray. Fincher movies always have entertaining ones.