The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DoubleD wrote:Image
Nice. Hopefully we will get some more vids on mouthtapedshut

Hey guys, just curious, what is this movie about exactly? I've read a few summaries off Wiki, IMDB, and Netflix, but I must say that the trailers make it seem like there's a lot more to it than that. Also, is Rooney's character, the gothic girl, is she "the girl with the dragon tattoo" or that tattoo'd character someone else?

Samsara17 wrote:Hey guys, just curious, what is this movie about exactly? I've read a few summaries off Wiki, IMDB, and Netflix, but I must say that the trailers make it seem like there's a lot more to it than that. Also, is Rooney's character, the gothic girl, is she "the girl with the dragon tattoo" or that tattoo'd character someone else?
Just see Fincher's film, the less you know the better.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Samsara17 wrote:Hey guys, just curious, what is this movie about exactly? I've read a few summaries off Wiki, IMDB, and Netflix, but I must say that the trailers make it seem like there's a lot more to it than that. Also, is Rooney's character, the gothic girl, is she "the girl with the dragon tattoo" or that tattoo'd character someone else?

-Vader
I'm not asking for a complete summary of the film, I just want a basic plot overview so I know what I'm about to see.

Watch the original swedish film if you want. It's a thrilling detective drama. It has action, suspense, it has a delicate love story... I personally enjoyed it. The approach is a little different than the book but it's a good film. Watch the first one. If you like it. Watch the whole trilogy.

IMO, It's better to know something about something before passing the judgment. So, my advice, watch the original film. See if you like it. Then expect Fincher's version.

The more you know (especially in cases like this) the better it is.

Vader... why not to see the first film?

If it was the case of Let Me In... you wouldn't give the advice to watch the original film? smh

Samsara17 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I'm not asking for a complete summary of the film, I just want a basic plot overview so I know what I'm about to see.
Erik Vanger, a rich businessman, hires a journalist (Michael Blomkvist), with a soiled reputation, to investigate the murder of his niece, Hariet Vanger. Along the way, Michael Blomkvist requests the help of a hacker by the name of Lisbeth Salander, who was a factor in him working on this personal investigation.

I think that's the basic plot premise without giving away any surprises and twists.

mxat wrote:
Samsara17 wrote: I'm not asking for a complete summary of the film, I just want a basic plot overview so I know what I'm about to see.
Erik Vanger, a rich businessman, hires a journalist (Michael Blomkvist), with a soiled reputation, to investigate the murder of his niece, Hariet Vanger. Along the way, Michael Blomkvist requests the help of a hacker by the name of Lisbeth Salander, who was a factor in him working on this personal investigation.

I think that's the basic plot premise without giving away any surprises and twists.
Is the hacker the "girl with the dragon tattoo"?

Fincher's version is not a remake. TGWTDT is based off a novel.

RIFA wrote:
Watch the original swedish film if you want. It's a thrilling detective drama. It has action, suspense, it has a delicate love story... I personally enjoyed it. The approach is a little different than the book but it's a good film. Watch the first one. If you like it. Watch the whole trilogy.

IMO, It's better to know something about something before passing the judgment. So, my advice, watch the original film. See if you like it. Then expect Fincher's version.

The more you know (especially in cases like this) the better it is.

Vader... why not to see the first film?

If it was the case of Let Me In... you wouldn't give the advice to watch the original film? smh
This is all film theory and how you're supposed to view a film, etc, and it seems we disagree. I'd say your first viewing (or interaction, including reading) of something/film is by far the most important, and most sacred, so that should be 'special'. Now, I prefer film over literature and novels, so if an upcoming film is an adaptation I'd rather wait for the film. The same logic applies here. Fincher's version is going to be far superior in all likelihood for previously highlighted reasons, so it's likely one would have the best experience if they waited for it. Kind of a broader spoilers vs no spoilers debate.

I typed out a very vague summery, but he did a more spoilery one so I deleted it.

-Vader