Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChrisTilford wrote:
antovolk wrote:Currently racing through Season 2 (up to Ep 19), after seeing Jonah's directorial credit in "Relevance", I thought for a sec... (apologies if this has been brought up)

What if Chris directs an episode? Like a 90-min series finale? But then, CBS/Warner TV would have to pump lots of money into replacing all their digital set-up with good old 35mm film...
I have a feeling that somewhere down the line, Chris will helm an episode. Would be a major coup for CBS & the marketing would be insane. Also agree on shooting with 35mm. That reason alone would probably raise budgetary issues, which may not lead to him guest-directing. But if Jonah included a special budget in place just for his bro, so be it.

Scariest thought would be Chris pushing television cinematography forward by shooting on 65mm! (IMAX would be impossible as it wouldn't make much sense for TV, but gives me goosebumps just thinking about it).
Since the show started, I've been thinking the same thing but it's highly unlikely it will ever happen. Chris did visit Jonah in editing room while he was cutting his debut episode. :)

Lets see if Jonah uses film to shoot Westworld pilot and if the show turns out to be success then Chris should also try his hands on directing a TV episode and HBO surely has resources to pull it off.

riddick-danish wrote:
ChrisTilford wrote:
antovolk wrote:Currently racing through Season 2 (up to Ep 19), after seeing Jonah's directorial credit in "Relevance", I thought for a sec... (apologies if this has been brought up)

What if Chris directs an episode? Like a 90-min series finale? But then, CBS/Warner TV would have to pump lots of money into replacing all their digital set-up with good old 35mm film...
I have a feeling that somewhere down the line, Chris will helm an episode. Would be a major coup for CBS & the marketing would be insane. Also agree on shooting with 35mm. That reason alone would probably raise budgetary issues, which may not lead to him guest-directing. But if Jonah included a special budget in place just for his bro, so be it.

Scariest thought would be Chris pushing television cinematography forward by shooting on 65mm! (IMAX would be impossible as it wouldn't make much sense for TV, but gives me goosebumps just thinking about it).
Since the show started, I've been thinking the same thing but it's highly unlikely it will ever happen. Chris did visit Jonah in editing room while he was cutting his debut episode. :)

Lets see if Jonah uses film to shoot Westworld pilot and if the show turns out to be success then Chris should also try his hands on directing a TV episode and HBO surely has resources to pull it off.
Unfortunately, shooting on film (while is slowly going away in movies), is pretty much completely gone from television. Director Jon Cassar (who did 2.2 Bad Code) told me on Twitter that 24 & Lost were the last 2 shows to shoot on stock. Most of it is now done specifically with Arri Alexa, I think.

Even if Chris can't do Westworld, Jonah could try to get Wally or Hoyte to direct an episode or two. Kinda like how Del Toro's DP Guillermo Navarro did 3 episodes of Hannibal last season. Also if Chris just wants to give a shot at digital video just as a one time thing, he could do an episode of POI or (eventually) Westworld. Wally's just as high on film as Chris & he could approach it the same way. Hoyte, I think is comfortable with both formats & has worked in shooting TV shows back in Europe, so getting him onboard would be no problem.

What if Chris Nolan wrote an episode in the future? He'd have to watch every single episode up to date. :lol:

I'd say when they do the final season, have Chris exec producing with JJ and Jonah, and a 2-hour (90-min with ads) finale written by Chris and Jonah, directed by Chris, DP'd by Wally. *wishful thunking*

It'd be interesting to see how much of a draw will Nolan's name be if this happens. I mean I know for House of Cards S01 Fincher was used as a selling point, don't know for Marty and Boardwalk Empire though.

I got Season 1 for Xmas, finally catching up! :D What's actually standing out most so far (aside from Reese being awesome :batman: ) are the POIs. Maybe it's the sociology aspect, but it's given me even more appreciation for the characters who've been on the show since -- like they're all POIs in their own ways.[/cornythought]

Edit: Aletheia looks huge! Root has great lines already. :twothumbsup:

OH MY GOD.

ChrisTilford wrote:

OH MY GOD.
just came to post this, my god why is this show running at such high gear, please dial down Jonah, this is too much to handle. :lol:

The pace at which this show is running I feel like they want to end it by Season 5 and I am not saying this because of minor subplots are being completed but the fact that the MACHINE subplot in itself has moved quite a long way within just 2.5 seasons.

riddick-danish wrote:
ChrisTilford wrote:

OH MY GOD.
just came to post this, my god why is this show running at such high gear, please dial down Jonah, this is too much to handle. :lol:

The pace at which this show is running I feel like they want to end it by Season 5 and I am not saying this because of minor subplots are being completed but the fact that the MACHINE subplot in itself has moved quite a long way within just 2.5 seasons.
Given the WGN syndication deal, four is a lock & five probably is as well. Given how Jonah's a Breaking Bad fan, he'd feel it appropriate to wrap things up in 5. I'd personally prefer six, but that's not exactly relevant to this discussion, so I'll stop.

I did some research to find that the last show that CBS cancelled after five seasons was Ghost Whisperer in 2010. Then again, it didn't have the numbers that POI had around it's 2nd/3rd season. But still pretty good for a early Friday evening broadcast. There's also the fact that POI has the max ratings for CBS in the 10PM slot from Sunday to Friday. I can foresee no problems at this time. Even if they do get cancelled before it's time, I hope WGN picks them up for a limited run to finish the story. Given that it'll be on cable, NO AIRING INTERRUPTIONS & NO CREATIVE RESTRICTIONS!!!! (Yes, Justified Uppercase)
Last edited by ChrisTilford on January 2nd, 2014, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

For some unknown reason, I think 7 is an appropriate number than 5.

ChrisTilford wrote:

OH MY GOD.
Even watching this without sound, make me go SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT & :wtf:

And Root does really like to dual wield guns now. It it could be her trademark on this show.

Also POI just went up by 0.1 on IMDB. 8.3 - 8.4. :clap: :clap: