Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
GeneMod wrote:True, it would feel like a bit of a retread, but I do believe that seeing Root go through all the pain she endured directly post-Shaw would add some emotional gravitas. I honestly don't know what they'll do with the Shaw plot but I hope they don't make her a straight up bad guy. Her character deserves more care than that. Now, I don't know if anyone here has seen Star Trek: Voyager but there was an episode of that where most of the crew gets partially brainwashed into becoming a workforce, and when they start to get their lives back it leads to some of the more touching scenes in the series. I was hoping they would do something similar with Shaw here. And yes, you are right about not dragging it out for two long. Half a season is more than enough.
Just on a sidenote: when Shaw and Root finally do meet (and you know they will), what do you WANT to happen?
I'm all for emotional gravitas, but there may be more ways to accomplish that. Root (and the rest of the team) learning Shaw's alive, upon catching her in the act of doing things that under Samaritan's influence. This could happen around Episode 15-16 of the season. Spend a portion of the next few episodes grappling with how they want to handle it. That could cause tension. Root'd want to take direct action, Finch would want to go on the defensive.

Accentuate this further with flashbacks from the pasts of both characters, juxtaposing situations back then that ties into their present dilemma. Have them come around to each other's way of thinking, and arrive at a completely different method to handle the situation. Root proposes a meeting with Greer. She goes in to it alone, and asks that he let Shaw go as well as leave the rest of them alone, for which she'll give herself up. Greer goes on about how she's a lot happier with them, and reveals her to Root. Shaw, upon noticing her, has some fleeting memories return, but not too comprehensive. Root tries her hardest to get through to her, which appears to work, but finds herself outnumbered by Samaritan agents in the building. She's okay with dying, knowing that she's able to be with Shaw in her last moments. Cue Reese & Fusco pulling a big damn heroes moment & taking the enemy combatants down. Shaw's shot in the crossfire, but this time, they make it a point to recover her. What happens from there... I don't know.

Part of this maybe a bit teen drama-ish, but it can be tweaked to fit with the tone of the show. Just a rough beat of one possible way of approaching it, which I'll try to amend once I get my thoughts together.

GeneMod wrote: 1) I think it would be cliché to turn Shaw into a villain. It's been done before too many times.
The writers could do a Captain America: TWS for Shaw (if you know what i mean, i know it's a bad reference), if Shaw does become a villain.
GeneMod wrote:2) For my own sake, I don't think I could bare to see a Root vs Shaw fight where one actually dies <--- Purely selfish reason.
We all can't handle that, for the exact same reason.

ChrisTilford wrote:
GeneMod wrote:True, it would feel like a bit of a retread, but I do believe that seeing Root go through all the pain she endured directly post-Shaw would add some emotional gravitas. I honestly don't know what they'll do with the Shaw plot but I hope they don't make her a straight up bad guy. Her character deserves more care than that. Now, I don't know if anyone here has seen Star Trek: Voyager but there was an episode of that where most of the crew gets partially brainwashed into becoming a workforce, and when they start to get their lives back it leads to some of the more touching scenes in the series. I was hoping they would do something similar with Shaw here. And yes, you are right about not dragging it out for two long. Half a season is more than enough.
Just on a sidenote: when Shaw and Root finally do meet (and you know they will), what do you WANT to happen?
I'm all for emotional gravitas, but there may be more ways to accomplish that. Root (and the rest of the team) learning Shaw's alive, upon catching her in the act of doing things that under Samaritan's influence. This could happen around Episode 15-16 of the season. Spend a portion of the next few episodes grappling with how they want to handle it. That could cause tension. Root'd want to take direct action, Finch would want to go on the defensive.

Accentuate this further with flashbacks from the pasts of both characters, juxtaposing situations back then that ties into their present dilemma. Have them come around to each other's way of thinking, and arrive at a completely different method to handle the situation. Root proposes a meeting with Greer. She goes in to it alone, and asks that he let Shaw go as well as leave the rest of them alone, for which she'll give herself up. Greer goes on about how she's a lot happier with them, and reveals her to Root. Shaw, upon noticing her, has some fleeting memories return, but not too comprehensive. Root tries her hardest to get through to her, which appears to work, but finds herself outnumbered by Samaritan agents in the building. She's okay with dying, knowing that she's able to be with Shaw in her last moments. Cue Reese & Fusco pulling a big damn heroes moment & taking the enemy combatants down. Shaw's shot in the crossfire, but this time, they make it a point to recover her. What happens from there... I don't know.

Part of this maybe a bit teen drama-ish, but it can be tweaked to fit with the tone of the show. Just a rough beat of one possible way of approaching it, which I'll try to amend once I get my thoughts together.
That would work really well, actually. Nice thinking!
And though I may not like it, somebody is going to die when the Shaw plot comes back into play. That is a given, don't you think?

GeneMod wrote:I honestly don't know what they'll do with the Shaw plot but I hope they don't make her a straight up bad guy. Her character deserves more care than that.
I think they'd make her sufficiently nuanced in that case. They've done a good job with the villains so far.

Re-watched Skip, still loved the episode. I still say its probably the episode i'll liked the most since M.I.A. its going to end up being one of the more underrated little gems when Season 4 is said and done which i understand in a season that gave us episodes like If-Then-Else, Control-Alt-Delete, and Prophets, but i appreciate it. Amy+Michael+Screen time = :o

Oh, we do however need more of this,

Team Ski Mask for the victory!

Does anybody know if/when Season 5 will be confirmed? From my somewhat limited understanding, it hasn't been yet.

GeneMod wrote:
And though I may not like it, somebody is going to die when the Shaw plot comes back into play. That is a given, don't you think?
I was actually gonna suggest that before Reese & Fusco's dynamic entry, Shaw herself would somehow snap out of it & plug an assassin within close proximity to her & Root, but that would've been too hokey. She can't recover that fast. Of course, from a fun standpoint, Martine would've gotten her wish from The Cold War, of killing them together.

Oh yeah, someone's dying when Shaw comes into play. It won't be her, as they wouldn't write her back with a new character arc just to kill her. They're in a position where they can't kill any of the male characters. Reese, the show's leading male, the demigod of the core CBS demographic. Finch, the second male, and the most important character tied to the mythology. Fusco, the audience surrogate, and pretty much their only connection to the real world. Which most unfortunately, leaves Root. She's not expendable, but they might take the option to push the extent of just how bad things have turned.

But hey, you wanna do shocking, go all the way.... and KILL BEAR. If there's ANYTHING that'll get Shaw riled up, that's it.
GeneMod wrote: Does anybody know if/when Season 5 will be confirmed? From my somewhat limited understanding, it hasn't been yet.
CBS usually confirm renewals of all their shows by the end of March, and are announced in bulk. They haven't yet this time, not just for this show, but every non-freshman drama on the network. Probably by next week tops. But I wouldn't worry. The show's in no danger, and they have an event at the Paley Center in April. Wouldn't be the case if they had no intention of continuing.

Yay, Finally two episodes straight in a row after next week.

And about Shaw, i'm still thinking she gonna be the The Winter Soilder for Team Machine (Don't know which member, most probably Root).

ChrisTilford wrote:
GeneMod wrote:
I was actually gonna suggest that before Reese & Fusco's dynamic entry, Shaw herself would somehow snap out of it & plug an assassin within close proximity to her & Root, but that would've been too hokey. She can't recover that fast. Of course, from a fun standpoint, Martine would've gotten her wish from The Cold War, of killing them together.

Oh yeah, someone's dying when Shaw comes into play. It won't be her, as they wouldn't write her back with a new character arc just to kill her. They're in a position where they can't kill any of the male characters. Reese, the show's leading male, the demigod of the core CBS demographic. Finch, the second male, and the most important character tied to the mythology. Fusco, the audience surrogate, and pretty much their only connection to the real world. Which most unfortunately, leaves Root. She's not expendable, but they might take the option to push the extent of just how bad things have turned.

But hey, you wanna do shocking, go all the way.... and KILL BEAR. If there's ANYTHING that'll get Shaw riled up, that's it.
GeneMod wrote: Does anybody know if/when Season 5 will be confirmed? From my somewhat limited understanding, it hasn't been yet.
CBS usually confirm renewals of all their shows by the end of March, and are announced in bulk. They haven't yet this time, not just for this show, but every non-freshman drama on the network. Probably by next week tops. But I wouldn't worry. The show's in no danger, and they have an event at the Paley Center in April. Wouldn't be the case if they had no intention of continuing.
They could off Reese if it is the final season or if they are moving to WGN or Netflix. That could be a ballsy move, GOT level stuff.

Rudinet wrote: They could off Reese if it is the final season or if they are moving to WGN or Netflix. That could be a ballsy move, GOT level stuff.
Regardless of where they're on, I don't think they'll kill off Reese until the season finale. GoT can afford to do that cause they've got LOADS of characters to play with as well as a wealth of material to adapt.