Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
If we were to have Root flashbacks this season, the only episode I think it can be possible for it to be featured is Terra Incognita. It's the only one among the last 4 where we've seen the least BTS stuff for, which implies that a lot of it involved interior shooting. Not saying it's a definitive indicator of it, but just tossing it out for the sake of thoroughness.

If not, there's always Season 5.
Last edited by ChrisTilford on March 28th, 2015, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wait, wait, give me a second.
I keep hearing things about Samaritan being reborn through Shaw...um...?
Where/when did this information come out? Is there any validity to it or is it simply a rumour?
If it is true...please no.

GeneMod wrote:Wait, wait, give me a second.
Where/when did this information come out? Is there any validity to it or is it simply a rumour?
Just speculation from me, that's all. Kinda like they did in Return of The Joker with Tim Drake.
It's probably too outlandish by the show's standards, but thought it'd expand on the sci-fi aspect more in later seasons. It makes for an offbeat way to write Shaw back into the show: Rather than being brainwashed into serving Samaritan, use her as a pseudo-Horcrux to ensure it lives on even after its destroyed, and re-emerge after a while, to continue its agenda.

For all intents & purposes, such a development has very little chances of actually happening.

ChrisTilford wrote:If we were to have Root flashbacks this season, the only episode I think it can be possible for it to be featured is Terra Incognita. It's the only one among the last 4 where we've seen the least BTS stuff for, which implies that a lot of it involved interior shooting. Not saying it's a definitive indicator of it, but just tossing it out for the sake of thoroughness.

If not, there's always Season 5.
Episode 20 didn't have much BTS photos, so yeah... Though it's unlikely

ChrisTilford wrote:
GeneMod wrote:Wait, wait, give me a second.
Just speculation from me, that's all. Kinda like they did in Return of The Joker with Tim Drake.
It's probably too outlandish by the show's standards, but thought it'd expand on the sci-fi aspect more in later seasons. It makes for an offbeat way to write Shaw back into the show: Rather than being brainwashed into serving Samaritan, use her as a pseudo-Horcrux to ensure it lives on even after its destroyed, and re-emerge after a while, to continue its agenda.

For all intents & purposes, such a development has very little chances of actually happening.
It's a very creative idea, and as a writer I admire it. That being said, I don't think it would quite fit the tone of the show; tad too out there. I would also (and no offence meant by this) hate it if that happened, here's why:
1) I think it would be cliché to turn Shaw into a villain. It's been done before too many times.
2) For my own sake, I don't think I could bare to see a Root vs Shaw fight where one actually dies <--- Purely selfish reason.

GeneMod wrote: It's a very creative idea, and as a writer I admire it. That being said, I don't think it would quite fit the tone of the show; tad too out there. I would also (and no offence meant by this) hate it if that happened, here's why:
1) I think it would be cliché to turn Shaw into a villain. It's been done before too many times.
2) For my own sake, I don't think I could bare to see a Root vs Shaw fight where one actually dies <--- Purely selfish reason.
I get that it's a little too out there for the show's present setting, which is why I had suggested a non-linear narrative, through which you can do this sort of thing in a flashforward, set a few years ahead from the show's present timeline. Nolan has referred to show as a heightened reality, and "five minutes into the future", so the actual future could be a little further ahead, where technological advancements could be more suited to handle this.

As far as Root & Shaw go, I'm in a place where I don't think things would end well for them. If Shaw were to be turned by Samaritan, she'd either be too much of a danger to herself & others, forcing Root to kill her. Or she'd end up killing Root on Samaritan's orders, where the latter goes down fighting in a valiant effort (or even a heroic sacrifice, protecting the team or even civilians in general, possibly) to get her back to reality. This may stem from the knowledge that Amy Acker's characters usually don't get happy endings.

If Shaw isn't turned to the dark side, where do you suppose things go? It's not the only possibility on the character's direction, but I have a hard time thinking where else it can lead. The only other thing that I've read which is plausible is that she's infiltrated Samaritan, and would try to destroy it from within, while the team tries to undermine its work on the outside. Given how Claire Mahoney's got doubts about Samaritan's nature, I think she could even try to help her get it done.

Thanks for the support. And welcome to this sub-group here. As of late, I tend to sound off pretty crazy stuff, which has been triggered by trying to extrapolate the meanings behind the titles of the last four episodes. Would love to get your opinion(s) on the show's direction in the foreseeable future, so that things get more energetic here. Being a writer, you'd probably have better stuff than most, cause of how much you guys tend to research these things before speculating. :thumbup:

ChrisTilford wrote:
GeneMod wrote: It's a very creative idea, and as a writer I admire it. That being said, I don't think it would quite fit the tone of the show; tad too out there. I would also (and no offence meant by this) hate it if that happened, here's why:
I get that it's a little too out there for the show's present setting, which is why I had suggested a non-linear narrative, through which you can do this sort of thing in a flashforward, set a few years ahead from the show's present timeline. Nolan has referred to show as a heightened reality, and "five minutes into the future", so the actual future could be a little further ahead, where technological advancements could be more suited to handle this.

As far as Root & Shaw go, I'm in a place where I don't think things would end well for them. If Shaw were to be turned by Samaritan, she'd either be too much of a danger to herself & others, forcing Root to kill her. Or she'd end up killing Root on Samaritan's orders, where the latter goes down fighting in a valiant effort (or even a heroic sacrifice, protecting the team or even civilians in general, possibly) to get her back to reality. This may stem from the knowledge that Amy Acker's characters usually don't get happy endings.

If Shaw isn't turned to the dark side, where do you suppose things go? It's not the only possibility on the character's direction, but I have a hard time thinking where else it can lead. The only other thing that I've read which is plausible is that she's infiltrated Samaritan, and would try to destroy it from within, while the team tries to undermine its work on the outside. Given how Claire Mahoney's got doubts about Samaritan's nature, I think she could even try to help her get it done.

Thanks for the support. And welcome to this sub-group here. As of late, I tend to sound off pretty crazy stuff, which has been triggered by trying to extrapolate the meanings behind the titles of the last four episodes. Would love to get your opinion(s) on the show's direction in the foreseeable future, so that things get more energetic here. Being a writer, you'd probably have better stuff than most, cause of how much you guys tend to research these things before speculating. :thumbup:
I love shaw part of team machine... but for some sick reason im pro shaw mind rape lol. Plus sarah i feel has really wanted her character to join the dark side. there alot of cool stuff you can do with that. but i agree, big shoot fan but i don't see it ending nice for Root or Shaw... it will be sad for two great characters.

oh and some notion floating around among of harper becoming shaws new replacement: :evil: :evil: :evil: no.
Last edited by thedarkshaw on March 28th, 2015, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisTilford wrote: I get that it's a little too out there for the show's present setting, which is why I had suggested a non-linear narrative, through which you can do this sort of thing in a flashforward, set a few years ahead from the show's present timeline. Nolan has referred to show as a heightened reality, and "five minutes into the future", so the actual future could be a little further ahead, where technological advancements could be more suited to handle this.

So, while I begin speculation on Shaw's new nature, I did discern a way for her to be re-introduced into the show. Say Root and Co. are on a mission of some nature, or even just walking down the street or having coffee, when suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, Root glimpses Shaw. It's only for a brief moment and the others don't believe her, having moved on. Only really John holds the slightest vestige of hope. Over the next few episodes, Root becomes obsessed once more with the idea that Shaw is alive, driving a wedge between her relationship with the rest of TM. Finally, after weeks of searching, Root gives up again. Heart broken by the shard of glass that is hope. Then, several episodes later, it happens again. Now we switch to Shaw's POV (Maybe she's doing her own 'Search for Root'). Shaw keeps looking for Root while doing covert missions for Samaritain (Having been brainwashed). Thing is, she still feels this connection to this...person from her past. A name she can't remember, a face she barely can. Hence throughout the rest of the season (be it 5 or 6) we have this as a subplot. Eventually, Root and Shaw meet once more. What happens from there, well...I have several ideas, but what do you guys/gals think?
GeneMod

GeneMod wrote:
So, while I begin speculation on Shaw's new nature, I did discern a way for her to be re-introduced into the show. Say Root and Co. are on a mission of some nature, or even just walking down the street or having coffee, when suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, Root glimpses Shaw. It's only for a brief moment and the others don't believe her, having moved on. Only really John holds the slightest vestige of hope. Over the next few episodes, Root becomes obsessed once more with the idea that Shaw is alive, driving a wedge between her relationship with the rest of TM. Finally, after weeks of searching, Root gives up again. Heart broken by the shard of glass that is hope. Then, several episodes later, it happens again. Now we switch to Shaw's POV (Maybe she's doing her own 'Search for Root'). Shaw keeps looking for Root while doing covert missions for Samaritan (Having been brainwashed). Thing is, she still feels this connection to this...person from her past. A name she can't remember, a face she barely can. Hence throughout the rest of the season (be it 5 or 6) we have this as a subplot. Eventually, Root and Shaw meet once more. What happens from there, well...I have several ideas, but what do you guys/gals think?
I like the point that Shaw could be turned, but has a kind of partial amnesia of her past life. They can run with that. But Root going through another break with the rest of the team seems like a retread of sorts to M.I.A., after she left when TM told them to stop looking for her. Especially, when they have the threat of Samaritan to deal with. The more they work together, the better the chance they'll have at getting out in front of this thing. And if they're looking to work the Shaw angle you mentioned, it'd be better if it went for just half a season (first or second). Good stuff, but wouldn't want it to drag out for long.

True, it would feel like a bit of a retread, but I do believe that seeing Root go through all the pain she endured directly post-Shaw would add some emotional gravitas. I honestly don't know what they'll do with the Shaw plot but I hope they don't make her a straight up bad guy. Her character deserves more care than that. Now, I don't know if anyone here has seen Star Trek: Voyager but there was an episode of that where most of the crew gets partially brainwashed into becoming a workforce, and when they start to get their lives back it leads to some of the more touching scenes in the series. I was hoping they would do something similar with Shaw here. And yes, you are right about not dragging it out for two long. Half a season is more than enough.
Just on a sidenote: when Shaw and Root finally do meet (and you know they will), what do you WANT to happen?